• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which trailer to buy?

KN6KXR

So I'm looking for a trailer. Why? Because my M936A2 wrecker has no space! Sure I can lift stuff but where the heck do I put it? I'm leaning towards the M105A2 due to price point and (apparently) fairly common parts. I'll also use it with an M35A2, an M817 or a M542A2. Any reasons to save up for something different?

Post up your advice and experience (especially retrieving these things from auctions) I'd love to hear it before I jump in.

KN6KXR

Depends on what you are trying to move around.
Well I used my truck the other day to go work on the M543A2 I'm retrieving and wound up using binder chains to strap 5 rims/tires to the boom to take home so I could paint the rims and change the tires. So there's a start. I also use the wrecker to hoist logs and whatnot. So there's another thing. I have a Deere motor out of a 125kW generator I'll be swapping.... I intend to use it to capacity.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M105A3 is a much better trailer for a number of reasons. This is coming from someone who has both and has used both. (1) The bed is galvinized, although this is also true of the M105A2s with the replacement Pribbs bed. (2) The trailer has an integral ladder mounted to the tailgate that allows you to easily climb into the bed. (3) The trailer has better radial tires, as opposed to the stock NDCCs. (4) The trailer has side marker lights and recessed composite lights. (5) The useable bed space is increased on the A3 since most of the wheel well is outside of the body. (6) The trailer (should) come with a jack. Now the bad...the landing leg is weak, unless you the have the reinforcement kit, which is kind of rare. Also, the A3s tend to bring more money, although the A2s are going for crazy money these days, too. The days of scoring A2 trailers for $75 at auction are long gone.

KN6KXR

The M105A3 is a much better trailer for a number of reasons. This is coming from someone who has both and has used both. (1) The bed is galvinized, although this is also true of the M105A2s with the replacement Pribbs bed. (2) The trailer has an integral ladder mounted to the tailgate that allows you to easily climb into the bed. (3) The trailer has better radial tires, as opposed to the stock NDCCs. (4) The trailer has side marker lights and recessed composite lights. (5) The useable bed space is increased on the A3 since most of the wheel well is outside of the body. (6) The trailer (should) come with a jack. Now the bad...the landing leg is weak, unless you the have the reinforcement kit, which is kind of rare. Also, the A3s tend to bring more money, although the A2s are going for crazy money these days, too. The days of scoring A2 trailers for $75 at auction are long gone.
This is super helpful. Thanks. Doing a search for sold A3's only turns up 2 from GovPlanet in different parts of the country (in the last year). The A2's are much more accessible. Speaking of price I neglected to mention that is a big factor. As you pointed out they are going for rather stupid money. The A2's I'm looking at will fetch about $1k. There are no A3's coming up for auction. This is with me fetching it as transport is also very expensive these days. So... I'm probably going to bid on an A2 and drive the ~700 mile round trip in the 936 to go get it. The other option is an M1102 but that would be $2k to $3k. I'm considering this but because I only intend to use this trailer with air brake equipped vehicles I wonder if there is real value in going with the torsion axle and surge brake setup. Resale value probably (as it can be used with non air brake trucks) but practically for my needs today it may not be the best use of funds.

M105a3 is much better, M1061/M1073s, M322s/GTTU202s

Depending on what you want to do
That's next level stuff. I use the 936 like the mechanic truck it's designed; not a cargo truck. So I'm just lifting motors and working on other 5 ton trucks. Most of my needs will be in the 1 ton category. Besides that the 936 is really a dog all by itself I can't imagine trying to get over the grapevine towing a flatbed with it. Someday if I get a 923 maybe that will be the right tool for that vehicle. The issue today is the 936 just has no room to carry pretty much anything. I already have to stack and unstack my cribbing just to use the crane.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. Keep it coming any other insights would be great. Especially before I decide to bid on anything.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An M1101/1102 isn't really big enough for your desired usage. And since they're HMMWV compatible they attract high prices.

The M105A2 is robust and cheap.

The M1061 is bigger and lower and usually about the same $ as an M105A2.

The M1082 is newer and very nice, except the deck height is a killer. It's like an M1101 scaled for a 5ton.

I own an M936A2 also. If I were choosing a trailer for it, it'd be an M1082 or M1061.

KN6KXR

An M1101/1102 isn't really big enough for your desired usage. And since they're HMMWV compatible they attract high prices.

The M105A2 is robust and cheap.

The M1061 is bigger and lower and usually about the same $ as an M105A2.

The M1082 is newer and very nice, except the deck height is a killer. It's like an M1101 scaled for a 5ton.

I own an M936A2 also. If I were choosing a trailer for it, it'd be an M1082 or M1061.
Wow thanks. The M1082 is EXACTLY what I would be looking for! Height is about right, length isn't too long (I live in the mountains), drop side bed, air brakes.

And.... there's ONE for sale in AZ that's 680 miles away from me. Dangit. It's like I live in a "dry state" for this stuff!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow thanks. The M1082 is EXACTLY what I would be looking for! Height is about right, length isn't too long (I live in the mountains), drop side bed, air brakes.

And.... there's ONE for sale in AZ that's 680 miles away from me. Dangit. It's like I live in a "dry state" for this stuff!
I think they come up in yermo occasionally also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks