• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which way do M49C Dispersing Pump Vanes go in the slots ?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had two M49C's but sold the tank off one of them thus I no longer have another pump to look at.. My TM doesn't show enough detail.. The pump is made by Jackson and has differently-designed vanes than the superceded replacement, the latter made for the newer Blackmer-built version ..

The old vanes and new replacements are identical in size and composition, but that's where it ends. The old vanes are solid-faced all the way around.. The new Blackmer's have 2 deep slots completely across one face but are solid on the opposite face except for the two small drilled thru-holes... And a metal plate is on one edge as you can see in pic .. I don't want to do a trial run and have to take this thing apart again. o_O

I would assume (there's that horrible word!) the solid side should be the "pressure" side ... And the metal plate should be at the bottom of the vane slot... But is there some reason a desk engineer may have wanted the slotted face pushing liquid?? Anyone know for sure ?

20240409_181707.jpg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had two M49C's but sold the tank off one of them thus I no longer have another pump to look at.. My TM doesn't show enough detail.. The pump is made by Jackson and has differently-designed vanes than the superceded replacement, the latter made for the newer Blackmer-built version ..

The old vanes and new replacements are identical in size and composition, but that's where it ends. The old vanes are solid-faced all the way around.. The new Blackmer's have 2 deep slots completely across one face but are solid on the opposite face except for the two small drilled thru-holes... And a metal plate is on one edge as you can see in pic .. I don't want to do a trial run and have to take this thing apart again. o_O

I would assume (there's that horrible word!) the solid side should be the "pressure" side ... And the metal plate should be at the bottom of the vane slot... But is there some reason a desk engineer may have wanted the slotted face pushing liquid?? Anyone know for sure ?

View attachment 920909
The "slots" go on the pressure side of the pump.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow... I'm sure glad the engineer sitting on one shoulder talked me into thinking there may have been some scientific reason for the slots.. The old ones did not have any thus I would've chosen the solid face to be pressure side.. The devil on the other shoulder kept yelling "Get it done already !! Slap it together, you got a 50-50 shot!" ..

//thanks !

:beer:

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now to pester you with another question: Since the old vanes had brass pins and the new ones do not, is there supposed to be a spring or something underneath the new-style vanes to keep them tight against the outer casing? OR , does the initial centrifugal force and subsequent pressure being directed by the slots to the base of the vane is what does the trick? That's what the engineer on one shoulder is thinking.. Again, my TM is lacking detail in the drawings

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now to pester you with another question: Since the old vanes had brass pins and the new ones do not, is there supposed to be a spring or something underneath the new-style vanes to keep them tight against the outer casing? OR , does the pressure being directed by the slots to the base of the vane is what does the trick? That's what the engineer on one shoulder is thinking.. Again, my TM is lacking detail in the drawings
As I understand it, pressure is directed causing the vane to expand out more forcefully.
Sad to say I don't have a good drawing of that either...

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I understand it, pressure is directed causing the vane to expand out more forcefully.
Sad to say I don't have a good drawing of that either...
I trust your judgement , thank you .. And I should listen to that pesky engineer on my right shoulder more often :sneaky:

I hear it's been decent there in NC, ,, so my oldest son in Raleigh says and his mom in Charlotte ..
After a false start into spring and then the considerable plowable snow and ice of last week , spring has finally arrived to stay here.. Trees are beginning to bud and I've been out wandering among the "little animals" to see which one of the trucks is next to get some attention before things get too busy

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
update: decided to replace the seals while in there and last night i remembered i have a bunch of pdf TM's on an old forgotten external hard drive for the other computer .. On it was a dash-20P that was 35 years newer than my bound version.. The newer TM clearly shows the new-style slotted vanes (and position) , as well as the new-style pump.. Doesn't show the old-style pump nor the old-style filter/segregator system , nor does it list the part numbers of the old-style filter sock or any of the items specific to the old style.... Although the new vs old pumps are externally quite different, they are similar inside and at least share the same seal part number/NSN . . (y)

The computer I use online nowadays can't handle pdf's for some reason, thus the Steel Soldiers library is closed. My other computer is no longer supported, thus unsafe to go online with it as of a few years ago.. It's kept for quickbooks, taxes, letters, storage, and other work too important to risk getting hacked

Able to find seals with no problem and this truck is gonna pump again before it goes up for sale !

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
update: decided to replace the seals while in there and last night i remembered i have a bunch of pdf TM's on an old forgotten external hard drive for the other computer .. On it was a dash-20P that was 35 years newer than my bound version.. The newer TM clearly shows the new-style slotted vanes (and position) , as well as the new-style pump.. Doesn't show the old-style pump nor the old-style filter/segregator system , nor does it list the part numbers of the old-style filter sock or any of the items specific to the old style.... Although the new vs old pumps are externally quite different, they are similar inside and at least share the same seal part number/NSN . . (y)

The computer I use online nowadays can't handle pdf's for some reason, thus the Steel Soldiers library is closed. My other computer is no longer supported, thus unsafe to go online with it as of a few years ago.. It's kept for quickbooks, taxes, letters, storage, and other work too important to risk getting hacked

Able to find seals with no problem and this truck is gonna pump again before it goes up for sale !
You should be able to download a copy of Acrobat reader to get your Steel Soldiers Library working again. If you don't access the Web with it, you should be able to download the program - then copy it to your machine and install. Let me know if you run into trouble and maybe PM me an address I could mail you a disk.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to download a copy of Acrobat reader to get your Steel Soldiers Library working again. If you don't access the Web with it, you should be able to download the program - then copy it to your machine and install. Let me know if you run into trouble and maybe PM me an address I could mail you a disk.
thanks .. IIRC, most of the TM's on the old external harddrive I had forgotten about are from the SS library about 5 or 6 years ago, and other sources .. I'm all set just as long as i don't stuff the harddrive in a box and forget i have it !! :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks