• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

white smoke and no power

kovacik76

got my wiring about done and the gp controll bypass worked, but for some reason it had to be a (+) trigger, well now it wont hardly pull out of it tracks on flat ground and will only run about 40mph flat on the floor on level ground, it is not using oil or coolant, and it smells like fuel but i thought fuel would be black

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
White smoke is unburnt fuel. Sounds like a bad injector or injectors. Is the engine at least up to 180 deg? Try loosining then tighenting the injector lines one at a time untill you don't hear a change in engine sound. When you find the one that stays the same then you've found your bad injector.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Navy Diesel school taught me this- White smoke is usually coolent, or sometimes oil. Oil is usually gray or blue. Unburned fuel is black. If the engine isn't getting enough air it will spew black smoke too.

Fuel usually is black....:?

I would check the injectors too, just in case.

acetomatoco

White smoke when cranking a diesel is a sign of excess fuel.... when running it will show black for fuel, If it is antifreeze or water it comes out as steam running and that of course looks like fog.... ACE

kovacik76

i will try the injectors, i had to change the new lift pump, it was weeping oil, and i thought it was a fuel filter last night but when i changed it nothing changed and i saw the lift pump, so i changed it a little while ago and it didnt help.i also added a bottle of fuel injector cleaner

86k10

ken said:
White smoke is unburnt fuel. Sounds like a bad injector or injectors.

White smoke is unburned fuel, I have one doing that and it ended up being a bad injector. But you might also check your IP timing that can cause it too.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
White smoke can be a timing issue too. Not necessarily the pump timing, but late injecction. The injection pump needs a low pressure source to make the correct high pressure. If the low pressure isn't sufficient, white smoke will happen because there isn't enough flow to fill the timing chambers in the time alloted. It's kind of like hydraulics...well, I guess it is hydraulics, if you have low hydraulic fluid, the ram is mushy or spongy and slow to respond. Same thing for a bosch type injection system. Air in the system will have the same results. Air compresses, that equals a late start to injection, equals white smoke. This mainly happens at high idle no load and under a load during acceleration. Does the smoke smell like fuel or oil? Black smoke is too much fuel, not enough air, injected at the correct time. If you can't tell by the sound of the engine when you crack the fuel lines, get a photo tach and put the tape on a crank driven accessory or the damper. Short the nozzles out and watch the RPM drop. The one with the Least RPM change is the culpret.

surpdlr

kovacik76 said:
got my wiring about done and the gp controll bypass worked, but for some reason it had to be a (+) trigger, well now it wont hardly pull out of it tracks on flat ground and will only run about 40mph flat on the floor on level ground, it is not using oil or coolant, and it smells like fuel but i thought fuel would be black
Was this a good running truck before for you? If so I would check for gelled fuel and or a waxed fuel filter. Low power and white smoke in the winter =’s waxed fuel filter most of the time!!

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: white smoke and no power

:ditto:

The waxed filter will cause low pressure, which will affect the injector timing and can produce white smoke and low power.

BEASTMASTER

try a diesel additive and inj. clnr. somrthing like powr-plus oranother. the stuff worked great on my buddies truck.

kovacik76

put inj. cleaner in it when i changed the fuel pump yesterday, but i made it halfway through the location road and it died wont even stay running unless you hold it on the floor

CCATLETT1984

id would venture its got a clog somewhere, or the lift pump is dead again. I replaced mine around a year ago and then it died again around 4months ago. crossing fingers that this one lasts.

dilvoy

If this problem happend all of a sudden, it might be that the glass plunger that's located within the injector pump fuel return nipple ( the nipple at the top front of the injector pump, that gets return fuel from the injectors ) may be stuck and is causing your injector pump to go into full retard. I had this happen and it was unbelievable how drastically the power was down. Some white smoke too. I removed the nipple and broke out the plunger and cleaned it out well and the power was back, with no noticable difference in idle quality. It's worth a try.

bus63kombi

I have had that plunger stick several times on my M1009. I broke the plunger out and put it on, ran just fine, it was amazing how quickly it lost power then just died and won't start.

kovacik76

well if you hold the throttle wfo it will rev then die out, but now i have to see what got burnt last night, the starterwould not disengage and then i lost all of my lights before the i could cut a @#$%^@% battery cable. btw every time i would crack an injector the motor would die.

kovacik76

well i finally got time to tear it apart the top timing gear is wore really weird and the pump shaft literally fell out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks