• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has a receiver on their 5t?

Artisan

My design is somewhere in the "What have you done to your 5 ton"
thread. This topic comes up A LOT. It deserves its own area.

Check out what I did!

LOL, krap, I can't remember how to find it
and I am tired of trying to find it for people! Nothing personal mind
you, it is just the search features have always suck'd here.
I am tired of looking it up.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCN0002.jpgDSCN0011.jpgDSCN0009.jpgDSCN0010.jpgI don't have a 5 Ton, but the issue is still similar on a Deuce -- additional hitches. Unless you intend to abandon the use of your main hitch, be thoughtful of what you hang back there. Pictured is the tongue & pintle ring of an M989 Ammo trailer. The ring part is not unlike many equipment trailers. When the receiver sticks back too far, it will interfere with the main hitch. There are a couple of actual pictures of things hooked up for real, and thewre is not a lot of space.

agazza2

Check out what I did!

Artisan, I found your thread on the hitch install. it is at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130112-Hitch-Fabrication/page2 and post #18
I used the search "Artisan trailer hitch"

Nice install Artisan :)

Artisan

Artisan, I found your thread on the hitch install. it is at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130112-Hitch-Fabrication/page2 and post #18
I used the search "Artisan trailer hitch"

Nice install Artisan :)

Yep, I think there are about 3 of those posts similar all over the place.

Here is a handy hint, if you click on the #18 in the top right hand
corner of that post, the URL changes to a link to "Just" that post... :)

Then you can highlight a word and turn it into a hyperlink, like this;

Post 18

skav

It is very nice, you have to watch how tight you back in in places so you don't pinch the front of the RV with the bed of the truck but it pulls like there is nothing back there!

Bryan
I'm looking forward to towing with it.

Funny you say to watch how sharp you turn...

I had been towing my trailer for several year behind an f250 or a dodge 2500. The fist time I towed with my Silverado last year I made a u turn at night and was impressed how it turned better than the other two.

When I got to the camping spot I saw what that got me. The ladder tagged the side of the truck, so I learned my lesson after a new ladder and body work

JohnnyBM931A2

View attachment 597762View attachment 597764View attachment 597765View attachment 597766I don't have a 5 Ton, but the issue is still similar on a Deuce -- additional hitches. Unless you intend to abandon the use of your main hitch, be thoughtful of what you hang back there. Pictured is the tongue & pintle ring of an M989 Ammo trailer. The ring part is not unlike many equipment trailers. When the receiver sticks back too far, it will interfere with the main hitch. There are a couple of actual pictures of things hooked up for real, and thewre is not a lot of space.
Sweet trailer.. I'd love one of those 8)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just "for the record", the actual component part names are as follows:

PINTLE HOOK : That which is typically mounted on the rear of MVs and engaged the LUNETTE RING on they Trailer, Tow Bar or other attached vehicle.

LUNETTE RING : That "ring" typically mounted as the connection point on a trailer's tongue or the coupling end of a Tow Bar which is captured by the PINTLE HOOK and is designed to allow the two-axis pivot action of the Trailer, Tow Bar, or other attached vehicle in relation to the Towing Unit.

74M35A2

Check out what I did!

One good thing about getting old is you can do you own Easter egg hunts.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
dredging up an old thread. i too have been looking for a way to pull my GN trailer and coworker has a couple of these https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/collections/3-0-hitches and modded his old M939 series 5tn (sold it several yrs back, so no pics) to pull his GN trailer. his was easy since it was a 5th wheel style, as mine is a M936A2, so i have a block and hook in the way as off now.
Put a clevis around the boom support for transport or chain and tighten the block cable to pull the block back towards the truck

There is a thread on here somewhere called then Haytrain which makes for an extended attachment to the gooseneck hitch from the trailer

shadowdd

I'd like to pull a trailer with a 2-5/15 ball and curious if and how anybody has installed a receiver on a 5t. I would like a 2-1/2" shank and 20,000lb capacity.

If you have a receiver, please post pictures.
I welded up a very functional hitch, put a lot of miles on with our travel trailer.

5669F096-45D8-48CD-A99C-461772F1332D.jpegC00E4F19-1530-47DC-80D7-A1DA48732112.jpeg2B03966E-76A3-4E9C-BB4A-42A9650E555D.jpeg1E9E32BE-EA82-4B06-972B-4D13304E582B.jpeg75F154EE-D078-4C81-8408-A5B6446631CB.jpegAFA8B265-DE8F-41B0-96C5-3AE59BF1A94A.jpeg8F6BD9FE-3EF4-4ABC-9C40-5FA2761050DC.jpeg

charlesmann

Put a clevis around the boom support for transport or chain and tighten the block cable to pull the block back towards the truck

There is a thread on here somewhere called then Haytrain which makes for an extended attachment to the gooseneck hitch from the trailer
Only thing popping up with “Haytrain” is in your reply.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Now that is an easy build any monkey with a torch and a welder can build.
Its easier than the dolly axle method i was looking at building.

charlesmann

Kinda what i was talking about, but i want the axle to pivot and the dolly frame rigidly connected to the tck near the bumperettes then the GN connected to the dolly. The tlr wt and load will be spread between the dolly and tck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks