• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why aren't Korean era deuces as popular as others?

m376x6

I just keep admiring this truck. I like the short wheelbase, the style of the body, and it just dawned on me, the paint. Karl would you mind sharing the information on the paint?

Good info David, we use to have a fellow up at the Colorado State Forrest Service in Ft Collins by the name of Kirk Herzman, his specialty was the hydromatic transmissions. I use to marvel at this man's knowledge of all the military equipment. He suddenly developed Pancreatic cancer if I recall correctly, and within a few weeks, passed away. It took awhile for a lot of us to find out. Very upsetting. I remember buying two of the four M656's he had at the yard. I was interested in keeping them original and freshening them up. I asked about information on them and where I might obtain manuals. When he found out what I intended to do with them he led me into a back room filled with shelves of manuals and gave me a complete set of manuals. The folks up at the Wyoming State Forrest Service Maintenance Shops are also a tremendous bunch. I love the kind of spirit and downhome values these folks possess.

Regards,
M376X6

mightyhammer

I had listed on another thread that I have some spare engines(GMC 302 I6) and a transfer case left over from the two I had. I had a fella in Denmark or somewhere thereabouts wanted them real bad but shipping was going to be almost as much as we agreed on selling price. I was askin' a grand for the whole mess...But I am open to suggestions, trades whatever. If anyone interested let me know... If not I'll just keep holdin on to 'em tell your friends:) COOP

DanMartin

If you want to see a great movie with M-211s, see the movie "Sorcerer" starring Roy Scheider:

http://blackholereviews.blogspot.com/2008/05/sorcerer-1977-william-friedkins-wages.html

It's a re-make of a french film from the 50's called "Wages of Fear" about a team of drivers trying to get a shipment of explosives to an oil rig fire across the jungle. There are two M211s in this (remake) movie doing some pretty amazing things (rickety suspension bridge scene is great). Basically it's a race, first one there gets paid.

Anyways...great movie if you like these old trucks.

M215

M215 color

To those enquiring about our M215 paint color, it is Gillespie #34087 Lusterless Khaki Olive Drab. This color was selected for several reasons, the traditional semi-gloss #24087 was not introduced until 1957 +/- our truck was produced in 1953. More importantly I don't like the way the semi-gloss finish looks and scratches way to easily. I have never seen a color photo of an early GMC M series, but some black and white photos appear to have a flat finish.
I'll admit that semi-gloss #24087 would be the more of the correct color for these trucks.

The markings are from a local Virginia Guard unit and are not original to the truck. I had originally hoped to paint and mark the truck as a Seabee truck, but couldn't find any good info on Korean era dump trucks.

Hope this is helpful,
Karl

Dodgeman1941

My bro has a m3 halftrack that was rebuilt in the '50s as a M16A1. He painted with the Semi Gloss and lettered it in the M16A1 lettering that he found on it. Man, that semi does scratch easy, he is always fussing with trying to get marks out od the paint. We also have the VN semi gloss on our M114, and same story, doesn't take much to put a scratch in it. My wife wants to do our M-35A2 in the same paint so it matches the 114, but I'm fighting that on tooth and nail because we use that one alot more and it won't take long for that paint to get trashed.

BTW, the dump truck looks great.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
In 1950 the official color adopted for army tactical vehicles was TT-C-595-2430. Semigloss paint was adopted by the army for tactical vehicles on August 1, 1945, per regulation 850-15, in large part due to its better resistance to moisture. However, the August 1, 1945 regulation specified that vehicle manufacturers could exhaust their stocks of flat OD before beginning the use of the semi-gloss....and no one ran out of the flat paint during WWII.

The five digit numbers for paint did not exist until 1956 - and there is a big sticky in the deuce forum explaining the many changes that happend after that.

Attached is the earliest color photo of a Hydramatic I have with me, although I think I have an older one at home.

Best wishes,
David

Attachments

m376x6

That's a beautiful truck as well Gene. In the over 40 M35's both gasser and multi's I've done and owned, I've never messed with a GMC. Maybe I'll combine my plans on a Bob with a GMC. I think that will go good. It's snowing up here at 8500 feet Gene, are you missing it yet???? Soon enough to get it though. :twisted:

Regards,
Bryan

m376x6

maccus said:
Thanks for the complement Bryan. If you notice the arms for the mirrors they used to live in the little building out behind your shop. So far we only have a inch or so of the snow. I am in no hurry to get into the snow business. I would think a G-749 would make a very nice bobbed unit. The frame is heavier than a G-742 and with the dual wheel cyls it sure does stop a lot faster and smoother. What engine and transmission would you use?
That's a good question. I'd probably work in a M35A2 engine/tranny/xfer. That would be the easiest and cheapest. I see fewer and fewer of the 135/211 units around. Becoming rare I imagine. I believe I know of where a 211 is that was brought in for scrap and has been sitting for years. It was in really complete and good shape. If it is still there I could probably buy it for less than a hundred. I'll have to head down that way and see if it is still there. A 6BT and a six speed would be the ticket. A 6BT 211 Bob with a dump bed and front and rear steering. I'm dreaming big here. I've sold both Crew cabs, the last of the M101's. I still have the motorhome but haven't advertised it yet. Talk about a beached whale with gas prices being what they are. If you know of anybody who be interested in a valve grinder and seat grinder setup send them my way. Take care Gene.

Best Regards,
Bryan

mbwarner

My first deuce was an M135, and I still have it. A little slower than a multifueler, but more comfortable to ride in, and steers easier, IMHO.

That said, there's just something awesome about an engine that will run on anything from paint thinner to diaper squeezin's. :oops:

butch atkins

Gmc ,g-749

i think that from a collectors viewpoint that a nice m135 m211 will increase in value as there are not that many of them left intact,and if you notice the govt is releasing all the other 2 1/2 ton trucks ,M35,M109 ,and others,a diesel is nice ,and has more use and by far has a huge supply of parts for many years to come,but i really do love my little G-749,and i have owned an early multifuel M35 ,and i like my m211 better,just my personal preference,not knocking anybody elses toys,and i can see over the hood,good luck to all on your projects

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks