• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

why is my truck faster than the others??

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i dont know why, but my truck seems to be faster than other deuces. i know several guys that have them around me and i can smoke them with mine...., well i shouldnt say that, if we were racing a one mile drag race i would be the winner.
the truck is a 1971 M35A2 w/w. it has a 134 horse mutifuel in it. i have done no mods to this engine. it has 9.00-20s on it, all ten of them. selectro locking hubs. i run 70 psi in the front tires, 50 psi in the rear tires. the multifuel capability has not been removed, i ran a tank of gasoline cut with motor oil in it once. on level ground i can cruise at about 65mph. the speedo is burried, i had a friend follow me and tell me later on how fast we were goin. the tach is at about 2600 at this point
the truck originally came from joe youngs place. it was bought from him by a fellow named pat jones. i dont beleive he did anything to upgrade it. it was more of a beater wagon for him.
last night i was cruising in it with a friend of mine and he couldnt beleive how well it ran. we were passing cars with it :shock: he said his cousins truck, which is an '86 m35a2 was nowheres near as powerful as mine.
im not complaining, i think this is great. im just a little curious as to why my truck performs so well

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any black smoke? If so mabye the fuel rate is set at the higher setting. I turned mine up a few years ago and it screams. I haven't found another duece that can touch it. I'd be careful running it at that rpm for too long, You might end up with a piston in your lap!!!

Towerguy1

I agree with ken, The pump may be turned up slightly. Also the govener is set to high. I generally try not to rev over 2200. Pushing it harder is asking for problems. Also check to see if the "diesel fuel only" is on it anywhere. Even hidden under paint. Some multifuelers where converted to diesel only and seem to run with more power, but the fuel pump will not "respond" properly to other fuels. It would most likely still run but to rich or lean.

Crazyguyla

the diesel fuel only pumps have the fuel density compinsator bypassed. i read somewhere, maybe PS magazine, this was done because fuel was leaking into the engine and diluting the oil. Cheaper to bypass the compensator than repair it.

rdixiemiller

Anyone know if bypassing the fdc makes a power difference when running diesel?
It looks as if I could install a couple of ball valves at selected points to allow the FDC to be bypassed or operational at will.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you bypass the fdc, then the fuel stop stays in its fully down position, equivalent
to running on gasoline, so more fuel is delivered for any given position of the "gas" pedal.
Probably the same as turning the adjustment screw two full turns, maybe more.

Bjorn

Towerguy1

Trucks that have been bypassed generally have more power, however they also run higher manifold temps. some believe this is not good for the engine. I have not heard of any failures because if this unless it was being abused.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not turned up my fuel, but with the pyro, I can see how easy
it is to hit 1,200F when the engine gets loaded down in in a hill.
If the fuel is turned up and if there is no pyro to go by, there is a real chance
to do damage.
With my non-whistler turbo I routinly get 10-12 psi of boost at close to 1,200F under heavy load conditions.

Highway driving puts it to the test.

Bjorn

rdixiemiller

I was looking at the plumbing diagram for the FDC/Injector pump. It looked like I could plumb in a pair of 3 way valves and a bypass line to go around the FDC. That would be an easy way to increase power if needed. However, it looks like a pyro and boost gauge would be needed for safety.
Hmmmm.....
Now if I use pneumatically actuated 3 way valves, and a switch, I can switch the FDC on and off at will......
Turned up fuel when needed, at the flick of a switch.....
Nah. Too many other projects to deal with at the moment.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
ken said:
Is there any black smoke? If so mabye the fuel rate is set at the higher setting. I turned mine up a few years ago and it screams. I haven't found another duece that can touch it. I'd be careful running it at that rpm for too long, You might end up with a piston in your lap!!!
na, there isnt any black smoke. it will blow out some blueish smoke if it sits idling for a while, but na, no black smoke

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Towerguy1 said:
I agree with ken, The pump may be turned up slightly. Also the govener is set to high. I generally try not to rev over 2200. Pushing it harder is asking for problems. Also check to see if the "diesel fuel only" is on it anywhere. Even hidden under paint. Some multifuelers where converted to diesel only and seem to run with more power, but the fuel pump will not "respond" properly to other fuels. It would most likely still run but to rich or lean.
i dont beleive it has been converted over. although now that i know what a converted pump looks like i will have to check mine. i dont beleive it has been converted due to the fact that in the middle of summer i have run a half tank of gasoline and half diesel, cut with 5 quarts of new motor oil. i know diesels can run about 10% gasoline in the winter to prevent gelling and make them run a bit hotter. i think 50 percent would have more than likely killed my herc if it was bypassed.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
heres one more thing that may or may not mean anything. now, i coldnt beleive this when it happened. one day i went to rip out a stump for a neighbor. i used 2 inch rope to pull on it. the rope is the same stuff i use to pull my mud trucks out of holes cause its stretchy and doesnt rip trucks apart. the stump was close to the street. when i would pull on it i would back up almost hitting it and let her have it full blast. just as the rope would tighten i would push in the clutch so i didnt tear up the drivetrain on the pavement. one time i didnt push in the clutch. the truck tensioned up, the rope stretched tremendously, and it drug the truck backwards. well this is the part i couldnt beleive. being drug backwards on the pavement shut the motor down and restarted it in reverse. it sounded funny. i thought i broke the exhaust pipe off or somthing so i get out and check. everything is intact. i climb back in the truck and put it in 1rst gear and it lunges backwards!! i thought i really screwed somthing up bad. i shut it off and restarted it again and it was fine. i didnt think the truck would have ran since the pump was running in reverse. could this have done somthing to the pump timing??

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i nam we had deuces that would start backwards if it was off but the master was on and a forward gear, if pulled backwards thay would fire offand run 5 in reverse and 1 forward

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's possable for these engines to run backwards, But it's not something you want to do. The oil pump is running backwards also. Sucking oil from the bearings instead of feeding them. As far as the gasoline goes, I don't think that was a factor. Gas has less BTU's than diesel and will give you less power. The only thing i can see the gas doing, was mabye cleaning the injector nozzles. I've had to run gas before in a emergency. I lost a lot of power and mileage. The engine ran ok but i don't like doing it.

Towerguy1

It may be simply the govoner is set to high. I believe it should cut out at about 2200 rpm not 2600. overreving the engine isn't good, even just a few hunderd can have an effect over time.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2,600 rpm is right for the 465 multi.
Many of us drive for long periods of time with the engine rpm at 2,600 and the engine loves it. That gives you
the rated top speed of the truck, 56 or 61 mph depending on standard tire size.

Bjorn

Towerguy1

Guess there are to many hills around here....... Im always lugging, very few flat areas to get moveing! For some reason 2200 was stuck in my mind. Roads around here are rough and up & down like rollercoasters.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks