• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why no crew cabs?

gunhog11

JohnFire said:
The one that is yellow and has a 5 on it is an Airforce P-10 rescue truck. They would have 3 seats in them since that is what an airforce rescue crew consists of. Way under classed for what we used to put on them. And for what we loaded them with the 454 engine was kinda underpowered. Alot of them ended up with cracked frames due to overloading. Most bases I was ever at the crews always beat the heck out of those trucks. Then you add in that it was one of the only non diesel trucks in the station so here in there some young dumb rookie would put diesel in them. The airforce also likes to have crew cabs trucks( 6 packs) since they are more safety oriented and don't let their personel ride in the bed of trucks unbelted.
The Chevy P-10s were the third version of P-10, after the older Dodge crew cab P-10s. The V3 P-10s came in two lots of builds by two different manufacturers. From the '84-'85 timeframe, the first buy was manufactured by Carter Chevrolet. These P-10s can be IDd by "Warn style" winch bumper, and different rescue body which had a shelf-style area above the actually roof of the body for the extra ladders, stokes, etc. The second batch of 130 P-10s came in '88-'89 built by Landoll Corp. These P-10s have the smoother-style front bumper with winch, and a rescue body thats "one-piece", with no shelving above it. Both types of P-10s are still in fairly wide service, especially in ANG units....Phoenix and Tucson, AZ each use a Landoll unit, and I've seen Carter units at Jacksonville, FL, and Chandler, AZ.

Carter units are under instructions to be demiled by DRMO prior to any sale, and can't be sold as a whole unit, due to the aforementioned frame crack problems; haven't seen the same restriction on Landoll trucks.

Melvinitis

The crew cab CUCV that was seen at Home Depot, or on the highway was what is now called a LSSV (Light Service Support Vehicle ). It is a souped up 3500HD Crew cab. They even have AC. The US does not buy them as much as it is a Canadian military vehicle, although the US does have some. They are loaded up with the military "stuff" brush guard, bumper with a lot of storage compartments... all kinds of things.

Melvinitis

Oh, and remember, every state now has a Civil Support Team, that is national guard ready reaction force, they have all kinds of goodies to deal with terroist attacks or chemical events, all that stuff, they often look like swat as they are mixed services (air, army and sometimes state LEF).

JohnFire

Gunhog that is some interesting info. I have only seen those earlier model P-10s. Most of which were heading to DRMO at the time so I never worked off of those models. To me any of them would be underpowered for all of the crap we loaded on them and never ended up using. At some point I am looking at writing whoever runs the DODFire site cause they have the models and versions all messed up with which pics they have one there. I don't know why they don't start changing numbers when newer vehicles hit the fleet. I think they are starting to cause alot of confusion as I am seeing guys get confused and have the wrong TO for the version of the truck they are learning cause if someone hasn't worked off of the other versions many don't know they exist. Also have the T3000 share the same license code as a p-23 is causeing commands to treat them as if they are p-23's and think they have the same axle,hub, and wheel problems.

gunhog11

JohnFire said:
Gunhog that is some interesting info. I have only seen those earlier model P-10s. Most of which were heading to DRMO at the time so I never worked off of those models. To me any of them would be underpowered for all of the crap we loaded on them and never ended up using. At some point I am looking at writing whoever runs the DODFire site cause they have the models and versions all messed up with which pics they have one there. I don't know why they don't start changing numbers when newer vehicles hit the fleet. I think they are starting to cause alot of confusion as I am seeing guys get confused and have the wrong TO for the version of the truck they are learning cause if someone hasn't worked off of the other versions many don't know they exist. Also have the T3000 share the same license code as a p-23 is causeing commands to treat them as if they are p-23's and think they have the same axle,hub, and wheel problems.
Yeah, back in the day, or P-10s were extremely loaded down with crap. Being first out, you know as well as I do that the rescue trucks were usually the most beat up truck at the station. Even the P-28 heavy rescues, which aren't that old, are getting beat to crap now. We'll see how the P-30s and 32s hold up at this ops tempo. The P-23.....restricted to 15mph for the hubs still. All that bling comes with all those problems. I'd take a P-2 or P-15 any day with all the manual operations, over the new automated crap.

truck0590

I seriously considering cooking my own crew cab out of my M1031 contact truck. I use it for what it was built for - field maintanance and a tow rig for my Scrambler. However it would be nice to be able to haul the family instead of taking a seperate vehicle. So I've had my eye out for a 80s crew cab with blown engine or something to make it cheap, because all I really need is the cab and frame.

Truck

AJMBLAZER

Look at some of the crew cabs the government is selling. The AF and AFNG seems to be getting rid of their airfield trucks. No salt, low miles, good shape...luckily I don't have the space for them because there's one not 3 hours from here on an AFNG base listed on GL.

randynoguts

can anewbie jump in here on this old thread? as a SP in the USAF, we had many crew cabs, both long and short beds. mostly dodges. i think i remember 1 ford.. and of course volkswagon crews. we used them for posting vehicles, amd patrolling vehicles in germany. we would carry a 4 man fire team which would include 3 m16's one with a M203 and 1 M60 , plus a can of grenades for the 203 and a big can of ammo for the M60. plus 4 alice packs of our gear, etc... all 4x4, we had mostly strata blue ones but some were OD. some with lights and sirens but most without. in the states we used them and suburbans while posting to the missle fields. 6 guys and all the aformentioned gear . as i recall all of the statsider were strata blue. our volkwagen crews were like the transporters but with a single passenger door for the rear. all were new watercooled in the 80's

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks