• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why not WD40 into the unloader?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw this mentioned in Slate's breakdown thread. I didn't want to hijack his urgent thread for this nonurgent discussion.

I've had an unloader stick. I blew the moisture out with compressed air and then shot it with WD40. Problem solved. Remains solved some 5 years later with no further intervention.

What badness did I risk by squirting it?

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw this mentioned in Slate's breakdown thread. I didn't want to hijack his urgent thread for this nonurgent discussion.

I've had an unloader stick. I blew the moisture out with compressed air and then shot it with WD40. Problem solved. Remains solved some 5 years later with no further intervention.

I had that question as well.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

There is a procedure for doing it. You can use wd40. Just do not spray it in the unloader. You spray it into the inlet tube and governor. The unloader has no pressure till the governor opens. Let the 125psi of the governor air do the work

Cummins procedure for the air compressor valve unloader cleaning.

-Air pressure should be drained to ZERO.
-Disconnect both sides of compressor and air pressure governor tube and compressor discharge tube
-Spray liberal amount of WD40 into air pressure governor .
-Put a rag over compressor discharge opening .
-Start engine and spray WD-40 into pumping compressor until carbon deposits are washed from the valve.

You will fill carbon and gunk into the discharge fitting and tube by not opening them up. It is smarter to remove the head and unloader. Clean with buff wheel and Berrymans. And reinstall

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to try and do this sometime this week. When I took the line off the top of compressor earlier there was no air moving on either side. Maybe it stuck and my Rough Ranch road loosend it up? I dunno it'll probably be a good thing to do anyhow.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 98G

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Wes made his comment specially for me, on recovery of my M923A2 from Houston, my unloader failed me and wouldn’t allow air to build. Upon slight disassembly, we found there was lots of nasty stuff in the head. Sprayed some aerokroil oil in it and we got back on the road!

Months later, same symptoms so I gave it a squirt. Problem solved. Then my O-rings crapped the bed inside the head from the solvent based lubricants I was spritzing it with, rebuilt the top half of the compressor as a result. If it’s an emergency get home fix, spray it by all means. But just know you’re going to tear it apart at the worst possible time!

Unfortunately spraying enough oil in the top of the compressor where the unloader signal line belongs it’ll sit there and cook in the compressor until it carbonizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks