• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

why would diode blow on exciter

usmc434

mep017a 30 hrs when i bought at gsa auction....track down two blowed diodes on exciter.....could someone tell me why and what would cause failure.......before i test gen,

larry in alabama

Keith_J

Overload? You understand the purpose of the exciter, right? If not, here is the simple explaination:

Electricity is produced by moving a magnetic field through a coil. In most generators, it is a series of coils, this matters not here. The issue is the magnetic field.

Permanent magnets are not generally used because of voltage regulation issues, electromagnets mean the output voltage can be precisely controlled. In most automotive alternators, the electromagnet's current is delivered through slip rings and brushes. Because these wear, most military generators are brushless. This is where the exciter comes into play.

The exciter is a second, smaller generator in the whole assembly, instead of the moving electromagnet, it has a moving coil while the electromagnet is stationary. This means the moving coil is now producing alternating current which is then rectified into DC by the diodes.

Just like the diodes in an automotive alternator, heat and current can cause diodes to fail. Running the generator at less than rated RPM can do it, current must increase to keep output voltage constant. Lower RPM then causes less cooling air. Bam, diodes are fried.

usmc434

thank you for your reply....i did a run test without load its same all is working...also found a dirt dobber mud nest built around one diode.....two were bad out of three........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks