• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Why wouldn't this work?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wmofilter.jpg

Drums I can get for about 10$ a piece, filters and piping are also cheap.

I'd have to figure out a way to use couplings to get one pump to connect to each stage, but shouldn't be too hard.

The filters are designed for thousands of gallons of fuel... so they wouldn't have to be changed frequently, and when they do, they're cheap.

30$ for each filter stage, 5$ each filter, 10$/drum, 100$ for pump, 30$ misc stuff...

less than $300....

Removes particulates, and water, with multiple stages...

Intended use would be my CUCV, fyi.

Source would be a local jiffy lube style place. Coolant contamination not an issue.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gravity

I see no pump and with all the barrels at the same level the WMO isn't going anywhere. If you do plan on pumping it will work although I'm not sure about pumping through a 1 micron and a 1/2 micron filter. Maybe just go down to a 5 micron.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gravity

I see no pump and with all the barrels at the same level the WMO isn't going anywhere. If you do plan on pumping it will work although I'm not sure about pumping through a 1 micron and a 1/2 micron filter. Maybe just go down to a 5 micron.
Did you read the text? I plan on using a pump to connect the different filters/drums. :mrgreen:

Why not just ONE pump, with ONE filter attachment. then just swap the filters as the pump is moved to a different stage?

With screw on filters, should be little mess...

I see a bunch of screw on filters that claim 1 micron, for diesel/fuel applications... If a fuel pump can pump those, why can't a standard drum pump do it?

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Essentially my setup is the same as above, but I do not have tanks or drums in between each stage of filtering. I have the stages, and I pump from a compressor tank, which can handle the pressure, then through several stages of filters. My setup is described here http://beyondbiodiesel.org/forum/index.php?topic=2.0
That raises a question.

Will a higher quality, higher flow pump, push through 3 filters, gradually stepping down in size, thus only needing 2 barrels...?

wmofilter2.jpg

ETA.pump on dispensing as well.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The problem you would still have to worry about is emulsified water. Those filters only block "free" water.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never use pressure in a steel barrel!

For a 55 gallon mild steel, open-head drum below 4 to 6 psi internal pressure, flex of the drum lid 1/2 inch or more is possible.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you been running your 6.2 on oil?

Kalashnikov

I wouldn't bother step filtering. If you allow the oil to settle for a day or so most crap settles out. especially when mixed with RUG. I would filter directly to 5microns. I personally filter twice at 10.

I just recognized your username from CVN. I've got an03 Marauder.

Ford Mechanic

The drum I used was a resovior tank for a farm well water system, and no removable top. From what i was told it was supposed to hold 14 psi on it. I run a regulated 15-18 psi on it, I get about 12 psi out before the last filter. I would think if something were to burst on mine it would be the pcv cap in the top that I drilled to accept the air fitting.... A reminder to wear eye protection next time I produce fuel.....

Beyond Biodiesel

Why not use air pressure. Seal the barrels, and put around 5-10 PSI at the first barrel, and let it push the oil for you.
This is what I do, except I use an old compressor tank, not a barrel, for pressurizing my waste oil blend to push it through several filters. I also settle all of my blends for at least a week before filtering.