• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will a TPI intake fit without cutting

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no experience with this but you can do a body lift to give more clearance.

Barrman

Those TPI engines fit just fine in Chevy trucks that the 6.2 with a filter fit in. I actually seem to remember thinking the TPI intake looked short and small under the hood of a squarebody. I think it will fit.

The best way to KNOW is to measure from the crank shaft to the top of the intake. Then ask someone with a HMMWV intake and air filter 6.2 to also measure from the middle of their crank.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those TPI engines fit just fine in Chevy trucks that the 6.2 with a filter fit in. I actually seem to remember thinking the TPI intake looked short and small under the hood of a squarebody. I think it will fit.

The best way to KNOW is to measure from the crank shaft to the top of the intake. Then ask someone with a HMMWV intake and air filter 6.2 to also measure from the middle of their crank.
The air filter does not sit on the HMMWV intake manifold, there would be no room for it.
That C4 engine is rather anemic at 235HP would not be much of an upgrade, I was wondering why it was so cheap.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The air filter does not sit on the HMMWV intake manifold, there would be no room for it.
That C4 engine is rather anemic at 235HP would not be much of an upgrade, I was wondering why it was so cheap.
Might be that his HOA or his Wife are complaining "that old motor sitting around" has got to go!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another question I ask myself is should I put a LS in even if it cost a few more thousand dollars.
I am of course biased but if you are going to spend a few more thousand dollars I would install a Duramax and have and one in the wings.

Glider

I've had a Duramax in a 2500 Chevrolet. Built it up till I blew the head gaskets and spun the Allison transmission in it. I built it all back and it was a tough, super fast truck but a Duramax Allison combo puts me in a repair category I would not like to be in. Given my abilities and local mechanics, I would much rather take my chances with a LS over a Duramax. Plus I think a Duramax would be well over a few thousand dollars more.

Last edited:

Barrman

Sorry. Yours is the last HMMWV I have seen with the hood open and that was a few years ago with the Duramax in there.

I wasn’t going to open the gas/diesel/LS/Duramax can of worms. But since it came up. Torque is what to look for at as low an rpm as possible. The TPI 350 isn’t going to give you much if anything over a NA 6.2 Based on my personal experience with both engines and a big block 396 in my M715 before the 6.2 moved in.

Glider

Yes, torque. I read somewhere that the TPI had long intake runners that made alot of torque at low rpm. Article said it would have been the perfect truck engine with broad torque range. Anyway, not sure how it compares to stock LS. I think I've changed my mind regardless of fit. Any change will need a harness, fuel pump and similar items any swap would need. May as well go LS which is most recent and has most support. I've already installed 4l60 just need a basic 3 wire setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks