• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Willys MB introducing Ritz crackers to German kids, Munchen outskirts, 1947

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My father took this of a couple of his pals in spring 1947.. All were former Cav troopers under the 4th Armor prior to war's end.. They were detained to form the Constabulary occupation force while most everyone else went home.. In early 1947 they were still running in pairs (or more) with other vehicles "just in case.".. Note the bloused boots authorized at the time to Cav as well as paratroops.. Sometimes you will see actual cavalry boots on period Constab GI's regardless of what they were "riding" , and yes, they had mounted horse squadrons as well

I believe the unit info on the jeep is the 9th Transportation Regiment of the 2nd Constabulary Brigade, not 9th Group Trans.. Although he spent a lot of time working out of the RTO in Garmisch as well as the DTO in Munich, I believe this was taken outside of Munich

20240223_160507.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
An older fellow I worked with in 1993-98, was from Thüringen. An Eastern German state. At the end of the war, Thüringen was occupied by the American Army. My co worker Klaus, aged 10 at the time, told me about things like this. The people were hungry and Americans distributed food and candy. Then he flew into a rage, that the Americans had turned over Thüringen to the Gott Verdammt Russians. That was the end of the nice times for him!! He got real hot! When he ran down, we talked about Yalta and such things. His understanding of history was far from the truth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks