• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Willys MB2A

PaFarmer

Posted about the 1947 MB2A I bought back in October in the Rausch Creek Fall 2014 thread, but did not post here. I have two CJ-2A jeeps and had been looking for an MB or GPW. I do a lot of off roading and am a member of several jeep clubs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320546.859155.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320567.994719.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320582.674343.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320596.859650.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320616.023816.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320630.489812.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320643.490372.jpg

PaFarmer

It has a DL Bensinger tub and a number of original MB and GPW parts along with a 12 volt conversion. I really like it. An original is worth a lot more, but I can use this one all I want without worry about wear and tear.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320843.023717.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320859.023600.jpg

PaFarmer

Someone should come up with a decorative rear hub to make the civilian axle less obvious.

mydingo

How different are the civvy axles vs. the military ones? Got a side-by-side comparison?
Military jeeps have the floating rear and a different axle ratio

If someone would come up with a rear bearing dust cap to make it looke like a floating rear I would be the first to order a set. It's the first thing I look at to see if the jeep is a real MB at GPW

quickfarms

Military jeeps have the floating rear and a different axle ratio

If someone would come up with a rear bearing dust cap to make it looke like a floating rear I would be the first to order a set. It's the first thing I look at to see if the jeep is a real MB at GPW
Just install the full floater conversion kit.

PaFarmer

MD Juan makes the tubs that Bensinger, Omix Ada and others sell. I understand that their quality has improved with user feedback. I am happy with the fit and quality of the tub. I looked at a lot of 70 year old jeeps with tubs with layers of paint, patches and bondo and dents that did not look near as good. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

PaFarmer

The full float conversion from http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/full-floater-axle-kit-001.jpg
is $900. Having decorative hubs machined to install between the studs and wheel, would be pretty simple.

I have read that the Spicer 23 axles were not very strong, the Dana 41 was an upgrade, which then evolved into the D44, which as been a standard for 65 years.

i also understand that the T-90 transmission is stronger than the T-84, so sometimes progress really is progress. I am looking forward to spring to get back to driving it.

FrankUSMC

The tubs have come along way. I have seen repro MB tubs back in the 1980s that the windshield bracket holes were in the wrong place. The worst one I saw, was a new repro tub the rear seat bracket on one side was a full inch higher than the one on the other side. I had a friend that had a rusty GPW body on his jeep, and did not want to take the time to restore the body so he bought one of the new repro tubs. He told me that in the end, he wished he had restored the original body, because he put just as much work into the repro body to make it correct. Again, I want to point out, this was years ago, I am sure todays bodies are made better.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
very nice looking repro. It'd be a a lot of fun to have and not worry about it 'as much' as if it were a true vintage MB.

PaFarmer

They used WW1 era Vickers K guns along with M2 .50s and Lewis guns and others as well as Axis guns. The story is that the guns were very reliable and had a high rate of fire.

We have the WW2 Weekend in Reading PA in two weeks. 1500 re-enactors and 30,000 spectators. I am lending the jeep to a group that portrays 8th army English, which fought the Axis in North Africa and LRDG was under the 8th army command.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

They used WW1 era Vickers K guns along with M2 .50s and Lewis guns and others as well as Axis guns. The story is that the guns were very reliable and had a high rate of fire.

We have the WW2 Weekend in Reading PA in two weeks. 1500 reenact ours and 30,000 spectators. I am lending the jeep to a group that portrays 8th army English, which fought the Axis in North Africa and LRDG was under the 8th army command.
Oh, right; like the "Rat Patrol" television show (dumbed-down Hollywood style no doubt), but i get the idea now. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks