• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable lube

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
My wife yelled out the window at me today and wanted to know for Gods sake what I thought I was doing. I told her

"I just oil,oil, oiling my cable.

She got embarrassed about me doing it in public.

kenklausner

Try this link, we use this device with cleaning brushes on our winch lines. We pull underground cable through duct systems filled with mud and water and require frequent lubrication of the winch lines. Our winch lines are swagged three strand anti-rotation wire rope that does not have a core. While probably not in the market for a lubricator the various lubricants might be helpfull.

KK

http://www.viperwrl.com/assets/files/Viper Assembly & Operation Manual.pdf

broman78

john deere Chain & Cable Lubricant sounds like it would work.

- 500ml
Applications: heavy-duty: Ideal for all types of exposed chains, drives, hoists, conveyors, wire rope, cable, sprockets, land and roller assemblies, garage and overhead door hinges.
Features:
- Excellent lubrication
- Penetrates rapidly
- Reduces friction and wear on cables
- Resists rust and corrosion
- Can be applied while machinery is running

AMX

I have lubed my warn with chain lube twice in 20 years. It stays outside with a warn vinyl cover on it. Looks as good now as it did 20 years ago.

JamesSki

We use Lubriplate Chain and Cable Fluid (Penetrating Oil) I have not found a NSN though. There is one that CRC makes that is carried by Grainger though, called Chain and Wire Rope Lubricant. If you can find an NSN I'm looking. Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You DO NOT want to use USED motor oil on ANY CABLE, and for sure NOT ON FIBER CORE, the ACIDS WILL eat the fiber core, the acid WILL cause the steel core to rust, BOTH core conditions are NOT for good cable health.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Winch cable lube

Does anybody know what that protective stuff is that Uncle Sam uses on the winch cable, it works most excellent and I would like to get some to put on my winch cable.
This meets the specs

FLUID FILM WRO-EP Wire Rope Lubricant, Extreme Pressure
one may google it

see attachedView attachment winch cable lubrication 07062015.pdf

[h=1]MIL-PRF-18458C, PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION: GREASE, WIRE ROPE - EXPOSED GEAR (05 JUL 2002) [SUPERSEDES MIL-G-18458B][/h]MIL-PRF-18458C, PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION: GREASE, WIRE ROPE - EXPOSED GEAR (05 JUL 2002) [SUPERSEDES MIL-G-18458B]., This specification covers corrosion resistant externally applied grease for use on wire ropes and exposed gears of hoists, winches, cranes, shovels, dredges, and other similar equipment.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
what!?
Winch cable lube

Does anybody know what that protective stuff is that Uncle Sam uses on the winch cable, it works most excellent and I would like to get some to put on my winch cable.
This meets the specs

FLUID FILM WRO-EP Wire Rope Lubricant, Extreme Pressure
one may google it

see attachedView attachment 568789

MIL-PRF-18458C, PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION: GREASE, WIRE ROPE - EXPOSED GEAR (05 JUL 2002) [SUPERSEDES MIL-G-18458B]

MIL-PRF-18458C, PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION: GREASE, WIRE ROPE - EXPOSED GEAR (05 JUL 2002) [SUPERSEDES MIL-G-18458B]., This specification covers corrosion resistant externally applied grease for use on wire ropes and exposed gears of hoists, winches, cranes, shovels, dredges, and other similar equipment.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military recommends a Amsoil product, it think. There is a tag on the winch line of my new HMMWV winch that tells what they say to use. The winch is not with me at the moment. I'll report back what the tag says.

JasperM925A2

The Lubrication order calls for VV-L-751 which has been superceded by MIL-PRF-18458 C
I did do my diligence for researching wire rope maintenance. Proper lubrication/protection is a two step process:

1. Applying a penetration lubricant to lubricate all the way to the core
2. A sealant lubricant that provides a semi fluid or solid barrier to weather and moisture

Run out the cable to inspect, and wire brush off any corrosion or contaminants, blow out with compressed air.

Apply penetrating lubricant where the cable curves around the drum or a snatch block bue to the nature of the strands separating as the cable is pulled around a radius aids to penetration to the fabric core of the cable.
Apparently there are devices that attach around the radius of the cable and allow you to force lubricant in the cable under pressure, but I haven't researched any of those yet.

It does look like there are multiple aerosol type lubricants specifically for hoisting and pulling wire ropes that claim to perform both steps.

Last edited:

87cr250r

Late to the game here but Crater 2X is the go to wire rope lube. Crater is sold under the Texaco/Havoline names. Chevron sells it as NC 100.

The Navy Towing Manual has all of the information for wire rope lubrication.

S9086-UU-STM-010 also has information about lubrication.

There are pressure lubricators but the core is lubed during manufacture and the core lube is not renewable.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks