• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch cable tail chain?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do FMTVs never have a tailchain/hook on the end of the cable? Nothing of the sort is listed in the TMs either. I would be very curious why the Army accepted delivery from my favorite hometown contractor Stewart and Stevenson like this. What are you folks doing to solve the problem? I'm about to put a G742 tailchain and hook on mine I think.

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The hook has to be removable. You can take one of the rollers off and pull the line back to the winch then run it out the rear of the truck and winch from the back also.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do FMTVs never have a tailchain/hook on the end of the cable?
Because the Army had a different specification - as Suprman said.

What are you folks doing to solve the problem?
You are assuming that this is a problem... The real purpose of the chain is to wrap around something - axle, damaged vehicle frame, tree...... without committing one of the biggest faux-pas of winching - wrapping the cable around something sharp or angular, or hooking it back to itself.
There is plenty of 'tackle' that can be stowed on vehicles and attached the clevis end as necessary...

Besides, stowing that extra length of chain once the cable is fully stowed is not so friendly on the paint work!

Don't get me wrong - I have vehicles with both setups and am ok with either. Both being factory spec'd and quite appropriate.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the Army had a different specification - as Suprman said.

You are assuming that this is a problem... The real purpose of the chain is to wrap around something - axle, damaged vehicle frame, tree...... without committing one of the biggest faux-pas of winching - wrapping the cable around something sharp or angular, or hooking it back to itself.
There is plenty of 'tackle' that can be stowed on vehicles and attached the clevis end as necessary...

Besides, stowing that extra length of chain once the cable is fully stowed is not so friendly on the paint work!

Don't get me wrong - I have vehicles with both setups and am ok with either. Both being factory spec'd and quite appropriate.
I DO think it is a problem. I get that the pin in the spelter socket has to be removable, but why is no hook or chain provided in the BII? A snatch block is provided, S&S thought of that, but what was the poor soldier supposed to use to attach the cable to something???

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just had a light bulb moment. No hook is provided because the vehicle designer's intention was to have the winch operator ALWAYS use the snatch block with a 2 line pull, and attach the socket to the tow bar attachment point on the driver's side (see edit below). That way, the vehicle would always be pulled directly forward and not from the right side only, as would be the case with a single line pull.

EDIT:

Nix that idea. The spelter socket (clevis) does not fit on the tow bar attachment point. Back to the G742 tailchain and hook plan.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I DO think it is a problem. I get that the pin in the spelter socket has to be removable, but why is no hook or chain provided in the BII? A snatch block is provided, S&S thought of that, but what was the poor soldier supposed to use to attach the cable to something???

Just had a light bulb moment. No hook is provided because the vehicle designer's intention was to have the winch operator ALWAYS use the snatch block with a 2 line pull, and attach the socket to the tow bar attachment point on the driver's side.....
Is this what the TM says? So does this mean that you won't be fitting a tail chain and hook?

What is the capacity of the winch? I can't imagine that twice the cable and the snatch block would always be deployed if the amount of "stuck" is within the limits of the winch. It will still self extract, even if the pull is slightly off center. Same as the HEMTT series of trucks with that self recovery winch. It's all about adequate space available on the vehicle and that self recovery will be way down the list of specification requirements vs overall length, capacity, range, approach/departure angles etc., etc...
The snatch block would be reqd if the load factors - mire depth, hill, disability and payload/weight go beyond the single line pull capacity of the winch...

If the chain tail end works for you - your intended use of your truck, then I'm all for you doing what you want.

As an alternative and interesting tangent, a discussion could come from your observations..........

What hasn't been discussed is the possibility - as with auto transmissions, the dumbing down of driver training, ... the military and safety people may have decided that an open hook has the potential to slip off, become detached and personal injury/damage occur, so switching to the positive lock of a pin and keep similar to a shackle is the way to go.....

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tail chains are an essential part of a winch & winching operations. But more often then not, especially on the electric winches, they're never seen. Its always nice to hook into a D-ring or shackle, but that's seldom the case, in the woods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks