• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch drum lock broken....help

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you will have to pull the winch and split it in half to access the plunger from the inside.

kipman

Yes, thanks for the can, Gimp and myself pulled the bed off the extra truck, pulled the tires off and adjusted the brakes, long day, but got a bunch done.

KsM715

Is there enough sticking out to weld a longer rod onto and make a makeshift slide hammer and pop it out? Or is it aluminum?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a steel shaft. I recall that the shaft drops into blind holes on the outer side of the drum. If my recollection is correct, I second the observation that it will be necessary to split the winch.

All in all it is not too difficult to work on a winch. Corrosion and heft are your only enemies.

Regards,
Rick

Jake0147

Make sure the winch drum has NO tension on it. It sticks into a very shallow hole, the slightest sideways pressure will put it into quite a jam.
Likewise, if you can wiggle it sideways a bit, you may be able to loosen it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a steel shaft. I recall that the shaft drops into blind holes on the outer side of the drum. If my recollection is correct, I second the observation that it will be necessary to split the winch.

All in all it is not too difficult to work on a winch. Corrosion and heft are your only enemies.

Regards,
Rick
FWIW, I learned from this thread that some drums are drilled through: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?31822-Help!winch-drum-lock-lever-stuck

If the drum was drilled through it might help to knock a broken pin out, if there isn't too much wire rope in the way.

G.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the nut with the notches removed, it should just slide out. Looks like it's pretty rusty in there. I'd try and shoot some penetrating oil in there and try and wiggle it to try and break the rust free.

I have repaired the pins by cutting off what is left of the old threaded part, drilling the pin, tapping it 5/16, and inserting a piece of all thread.

dmetalmiki

winch lock prob

soak it in penetrating fluid hammer it with a good puch NOT to drive it in but to loosen it. "work the drum by HAND back and forth "on the rock" till you gestimate it's in a non contact pisition with the pin in the drum recsess. tapping (the pin) at the 4 corners of the "clock" should free it some then as sed previously weld to the and pull or (as I did) drill and tap it then screw a bolt in the work it loose. (copiouse sqiurts of penny oil here! I got another one out for a freind by lube HEAT and tapping.) patience and feel does it honest!..good luck let us know the eventual method/ trick.

LanceRobson

I suspect from memory that there is enough room to grab the end of the tapered pin with a pair of needle nose vise-grips. I bought a new pin from either Saturn Surplus or Memphis Equipment a year or two ago. It was maybe $10-12.

Lance

TACTICAL6

Okay, I removed the winch and took to my friends shop. He split it and removed the drum lock. It was broken and very rusty. He fabricated a new one for me out of stainless steel to prevent any further rusting. So here are some pics of the reinstall "backyard mechanic" style. A come-a-long and a tow strap, and it was back in in about 30 minutes.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks