• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch questions: Will 5-Ton fit a Deuce? Conversion? Etc.

shannondeese

I have ended up with two 800 series 5ton carcasses at my house. Both are Cummins 250 trucks with manual transmissions. One of them has a 20k PTO winch on the front and a 45k winch on the back. The PTO for the rear is still on the Tcase but everything else is missing. It is a chain drive winch The front is complete from the the PTO forward. Both winches have the level winders still in place.
Will the Tcase PTO fit the deuce Tcase?
Does anyone know how to convert the front winch to hydraulic so I can mount it in the bed of my deuce.?
What the heck do I do with a 45k chain drive winch? The thing weighs a ton.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
T-case pto will not fit the deuce.
Just put a HD motor on the winch for the bed. That is what they did to the M939 5 ton winch on the front.
Then you have to have a pump for the winch that runs off the PTO on the transmission or the transfer case.

helm1008

Can I pick away at this subject little more gentlemen? I just bought a m35 already mounted with 5ton winch that's not hooked up to pto power , any ideas ? For me the trucks not Novelty it's going to be a work truck

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I was thinking is running off regular pto to front then have the winch run on chain and sprocket, because its opposite side
Our Garwood front winches are reversible for left- or right-side input. I would much rather disassemble and flip components left to right, to be able to connect the drive shaft as designed.

helm1008

Our Garwood front winches are reversible for left- or right-side input. I would much rather disassemble and flip components left to right, to be able to connect the drive shaft as designed.
See I thought it looked reversable but I wasnt sure. I guess I'll give that a shot thanks, so if that works out I'll need drive shaft and pto Assembly for transmition. If anyone Has such parts there willing to sell I would be interested thanks.

fasttruck

Another example of making apples out of oranges. The PTO shafts are different sizes and lengths. Flange plates that attach shaft to output shaft of PTO are probably different. used to have a 2.5t and 5t here with winches so I could do comparison shopping but they were sold. If it all fits together it is not going to be a bolt on job.

helm1008

Another example of making apples out of oranges. The PTO shafts are different sizes and lengths. Flange plates that attach shaft to output shaft of PTO are probably different. used to have a 2.5t and 5t here with winches so I could do comparison shopping but they were sold. If it all fits together it is not going to be a bolt on job.
Ya not worried about any of that stuff I can fabricate. My biggest challenge is finding pto unit for transmition.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My biggest challenge is finding pto unit for transmition.
Really? Have you tried the usual sellers already like Memphis, Eastern, White Owl, etc...?

Here's just one, after a quick search: https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/2670/COM-3041-PTO-Mounted-Transmission-M35A2

BTW, I also saw they have the drive shaft listed (at very reasonable $, IMO): https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/3519/M35-Winch-Drive-Shaft

If you are lucky enough, that 20K-Garwood was mounted so that the input shaft is in about the same position (longitudinally) as the stock 10K, meaning you could use the stock M35A2 drive shaft. Only modification would be enlarging its front yoke bore (from Ø1.25" to now Ø1.50") plus its shear pin hole (Ø9/32" --> Ø3/8"), to fit the 20K input.

helm1008

Really? Have you tried the usual sellers already like Memphis, Eastern, White Owl, etc...?

Here's just one, after a quick search: https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/2670/COM-3041-PTO-Mounted-Transmission-M35A2

BTW, I also saw they have the drive shaft listed (at very reasonable $, IMO): https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/3519/M35-Winch-Drive-Shaft

If you are lucky enough, that 20K-Garwood was mounted so that the input shaft is in about the same position (longitudinally) as the stock 10K, meaning you could use the stock M35A2 drive shaft. Only modification would be enlarging its front yoke bore (from Ø1.25" to now Ø1.50") plus its shear pin hole (Ø9/32" --> Ø3/8"), to fit the 20K input.
Wow that is good deal I was looking around but didnt see anything that reasonable. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks