• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Windshield Wiper Inop

SoFloHMMWV

I have 2011 M1097a2 and the wipers are inop. By the engine block I found wire 57 not connected. I believe it is a ground wire for the wipers. Were is the best place to connect and is this the issue?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a newbie but I had this problem also.

The issue usually is the contacts at the bottom of the windshield get corroded. When you measure the voltages at the leads on the motor the VOM kind of fools you as they are normal but not enough current to drive the motor.

In my case I have a helmet top and had no way of removing/raising that top to be able to tilt the windshield and get to those contacts so I just ran new hard wires. I believe I saw some replacement contacts available at the time if you can get to them.

Part #: 12339327

I was told to zap that area with some electronic contact cleaner from a spray can but of course that did not work for me. Worth it if you have some handy.

The experts will chime in with more authoritative info.

Good luck!

SoFloHMMWV

I am a newbie but I had this problem also.

The issue usually is the contacts at the bottom of the windshield get corroded. When you measure the voltages at the leads on the motor the VOM kind of fools you as they are normal but not enough current to drive the motor.

In my case I have a helmet top and had no way of removing/raising that top to be able to tilt the windshield and get to those contacts so I just ran new hard wires. I believe I saw some replacement contacts available at the time if you can get to them.

Part #: 12339327

I was told to zap that area with some electronic contact cleaner from a spray can but of course that did not work for me. Worth it if you have some handy.

The experts will chime in with more authoritative info.

Good luck!
Thank you for the quick response, no luck after spraying. I looked at a wiring diagram and 57 is supposed to be the ground. I believe this has something to do with it. I need to find a good place or where it is supposed to be bolted to.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a bolt behind the inst. panel going through the firewall, it needs to be cleaned up on both sides as there are also wires connected on the engine side also.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other thing to look at, some of the wiring for that comes from under the dash and across the top of the steering wheel shaft. Inspect there (no need to disassembly anything) and look for chaffed or broken wiring. (On my M998 that caused my switch to fry killing everything... but the most likely culpret is the contacts as mentioned.)

MCQaz

Here’s another solution. Its another McGyver calling card! :cool:
I folded the windshield down on my M1097 for the first time to inspect the gasket and these contacts. This is what I found. It made me laugh but i’m sure it worked.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!
FYI that is fine desert sand not rust that your see on the lower portion. A77B78BE-F5BB-4D6D-95EB-921F3FFC3179.jpeg

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I first had issues with the contacts on mine, the exact suggestion was adding washers like that. I did so and it worked for a bit, but soon I ended up having to replace both sides. Doing so, it's worked fine since.

As for the sand.. Time get a sandbox for the kids/kitties.. :)

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just some sort of zinc coated steel from what I could tell. The issue is the rubber deforms over time and allows the pressure on both sides to get weaker until it either arcs (lots of amps due to the wiper motor) or simply disconnects. The wash bridges the gap, but in my case the rubber continued to deform and even the washers were not enough. 2 new connects and everything works great. (And they were not all that expensive, just a pain to replace)

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s another solution. Its another McGyver calling card! :cool:
I folded the windshield down on my M1097 for the first time to inspect the gasket and these contacts. This is what I found. It made me laugh but i’m sure it worked.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!
FYI that is fine desert sand not rust that your see on the lower portion. View attachment 917163
i made the same here on my truck... and it works fine!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks