• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winter/Summer tires

hdmax

I am having Paul (Ridgerunner) fabricate a 4" drop spring lift for my Bobbed deuce, and will be getting a set of 395's and they will be mounted on hemmit wheels most likely.
My question to other 2 1/2 ton truck owners (And anyone else that wants to chime in!)
If you did not have the need to sell one set of tires, and could keep two sets.
Would you keep a set of 11.00's for winter (I have chains for them as well.) and run 395's the rest of the year? Or sell the 11.00's?

I know from driving pickup trucks for 35 years that narrower tires with chains do very good in snow/ice, and that wide tires with no chains suck more times than not.
Are the 395's on a deuce the same way?

Thanks, I will hang up and listen!

hdmax

Thanks for the reply!
I see chains for the 11.00's really cheap all the time, but don't recall seeing those for the 395's.

I am hoping to find a good deal or several at the Lima show, and or Haspin.
(Tires/wheels, chains and whatnot.)

goldwing2000

Banned
What kind of 11.00s do you have? If they're NDTs, then maybe run them until they wear out and then stick with the 395s year-round.
If they're Michelin XLs, you should sell them to me and then buy chains for the 395s. :mrgreen:

motomacguyver

I don't know how much of a pain in the a$$ it is to put chains on tires this size. If it is worse than changing them, I would keep the 11.00's. If not, chains are avalible for the 395's but EXPENSIVE.

I would probably only NEED chains around here 1-2 times a year though. But if your driving out in the fields and stuff during winter I don't think you will get there without chains. However, once the snow is much deeper than your ground clearance, game over.2cents2cents

goldwing2000

Banned
I don't know how much of a pain in the a$$ it is to put chains on tires this size. If it is worse than changing them, I would keep the 11.00's. If not, chains are avalible for the 395's but EXPENSIVE.

I would probably only NEED chains around here 1-2 times a year though. But if your driving out in the fields and stuff during winter I don't think you will get there without chains. However, once the snow is much deeper than your ground clearance, game over.2cents2cents
I've put chains on my tractor (14.9x24 tires, 50" tall, 15" wide) and it's no picnic. In fact, it's a pain in the a$$. But once they're on, it makes a world of difference! On the other hand, top speed on my tractor is a blistering 18mph.
hdmax, I don't know what kind of driving you do in the winter but most places in the midwest don't let you run chains on the road.

But if you do decide to switch over, I'll definitely give you a fair price for your Michelins. [thumbzup] Looks like you only have five of them, right?

hdmax

Chains are allowed here in Ohio but only during certain conditions, and of course winter only! (As is studded tires. I think it is Nov. 15th through April 1st.)

I have 7 Michelin XL's on stock wheels, but want to keep the two on my M105 trailer, so yes just 5 that I would consider selling.
I will keep it in mind that you may be interested in purchasing them.
Do you go to Haspin in Indiana? Or the Findley swap meet? If so, let me know and maybe, just maybe we can work something out,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks