• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wire Loom vs Wire Wrap question

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all... Today I removed the rear wiring harness from my parts deuce. It has a couple of damaged connectors that I will repair but it seems to be in good shape overall. The wire wrap however, is really brittle, stiff, hard to coil, and in some places has broken and peeled. The wires under the wrap appear to be clean and undamaged. I seem to have three options:

A. Do nothing
B. Purchase new wrap and rewrap the wires
C. Purchase plastic split loom, remove the wire wrap, and put the loose wires into the split loom

I was wondering what you folks thought about this. Employing options B and C would have the added benefit of being able to check each wire along it's total length. Have any of you done something similar? What solutions did you come up with? Any insights would be helpful. Fortunately, I have the time (God willing) to make the repairs as I don't need to install it for a while.

TIA...!

Peace in Christ...
Leo

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go the reward route , use quality tape. I second the suggestion to use Scotch 33. I use that exclusively.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the ideas. I considered using electrical tape as well. It was also suggested that I use a non-adhesive wire loom tape. What do you folks think about using a non-adhesive loom tape?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Non-stick tape is a bit hard to work with, keeping it tight as it is being wrapped.

Then again, it is what they used in original MV looms. Made in custom factories by the hundreds.

Scotch 33 is easier to use, as when you stop for whatever reason, it stays in place. The adhesive they use won't squeeze out and get ugly, either. Doesn't seem to react with the insulation on OZ military wire.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Non-stick tape is a bit hard to work with, keeping it tight as it is being wrapped.

Then again, it is what they used in original MV looms. Made in custom factories by the hundreds.

Scotch 33 is easier to use, as when you stop for whatever reason, it stays in place. The adhesive they use won't squeeze out and get ugly, either. Doesn't seem to react with the insulation on OZ military wire.
Thanks for the input. I will get the Scotts 33 and as Shaggy and Scooby-Doo would say "Get Jiggy with It".

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks