• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring diagram

Bobbycole927

Does anyone have a general idea of how the passenger alt runs to the battery? I’ve changed both alts and batteries, there was a lot of back woods wiring I’ve had to correct. I still do not have either gen light on the dash however my alt 1 was pretty straightforward in the TM. Alt 1 voltage is fine just no dash lights or voltage meter.

MarcusOReallyus

The wiring diagrams and TMs (Technical Manuals) are free on this website. Just go to the the home page and start scrolling down. TMs are the very first thing you'll find.

You'll also find most of what you need in the Helpful Threads sticky, right at the top of the CUCV forum.

Keith_J

The passenger side alternator negative terminal connects to the back battery negative through the 12 volt diamond-shaped terminal block on the firewall near the brake master cylinder. Remember, the back battery negative is connected to the front battery positive.

The back battery positive goes to the top bus on the firewall, the positive terminal on the passenger alternator also connects to the top bus.

All alternator power connections are protected with fusible links except the negative drivers side which having no voltage over ground, needs no protection. Fusible links are nearest to the firewall on all alternator connections. Alternator power connections are 6 AWG, fusible links are 10 AWG with high temperature silicone insulation.

These wire gauges are minimally adequate for 100 amperes, I would recommend 4 AWG with 8 AWG fusible links if you have high loads like winch, snow plow or 1.5 kW inverter. In all cases, go with 24 volt consumers when available to spread the load over both alternators. A single 3/8" vee belt on a 2 inch sheave is at the limit for a 1.4 kW load. Most engineering texts would say that is a 1 horsepower limit, in the CUCV, it is over 2 HP with bearing and cooling fan load. This is why belts howl during low speed glow plug cycling. Either the belts squeal or the alternator main bearings wear out from excess belt tension. Notched belts help.

If you must rely on the system, a spare functional alternator is a great thing to have on hand. And a handful of alternator bearings with a full set of notched belts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks