• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Harness Question

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all... I recently purchased a replacement FRONT wiring harness. It very closely matches the existing wiring harness, but the new harness has several different wire numbers compared to the existing. Additionally, the new wiring harness has connectors that the existing one does not have. It seems the new wiring harness is designed for a vehicle with a generator and my truck has an alternator. The new wiring harness has a heavy wire that runs from where my alternator is, across the engine side firewall, to a plug that contains two large pins. It appears that this plug is supposed to go into something (such as a voltage regulator) that would be mounted to the drivers side of the side firewall.

While researching this bit of confusion, I came across an Alternator/Generator conversion kit (NSN: 2920-00-000-0088). This kit seems to have the stuff (and instructions) necessary to modify the replacement wiring harness to fit an alternator style truck. What do you all think? Have any of you run into this? Please let me know...

Peace in Christ...
Leo

Barrman

That generator to alternator kit works great. I have used it on several trucks. You also will find since your front harness is for a generator truck that it probably doesn’t have the front axle engaged light plug either. At least that has been my experience. Everything else will be close or just right.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That generator to alternator kit works great. I have used it on several trucks. You also will find since your front harness is for a generator truck that it probably doesn’t have the front axle engaged light plug either. At least that has been my experience. Everything else will be close or just right.
Thank you for your reply! I am just now getting to the instrument cluster, so the front axel engagement light problem will probably rear it's ugly head some time this week. Today I have to figure out how to connect the flasher unit.

Barrman

Do you have the solid state blinker wiring or the old mechanical Spartan unit wiring for blinkers in your new harness? As long as you have your old 3 pin plug for the box and the harness from your blinker arm, it can be made to work. I did that on my M715 which is exactly the same as the M35A2 except for wire length.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the solid state blinker wiring or the old mechanical Spartan unit wiring for blinkers in your new harness? As long as you have your old 3 pin plug for the box and the harness from your blinker arm, it can be made to work. I did that on my M715 which is exactly the same as the M35A2 except for wire length.
Barman, thank you so much for responding. The flashing unit on my truck is bolted to the DS fender and had a three point plug screwed into it. I am not certain as to how the new harness will connect to the flashing unit, but I know it doesn't have the 3 point plug. The 3 point plug that was on my truck was literally "Hanging by a thread (wire)". I cut it away from the old harness, hoping to find a way to repair it so I can use it with the new harness. I don't know yet if that is possible, but thought I would look at it tomorrow after church. Thoughts anyone??

Barrman

You get to wire the 3 pin flasher plug into your harness. Along with the I think 7 pin plug at the blinker arm. It will be fun. You get to work with wire A or B or C and match them up to wire 20 or something like that. I have done it several times now.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You get to wire the 3 pin flasher plug into your harness. Along with the I think 7 pin plug at the blinker arm. It will be fun. You get to work with wire A or B or C and match them up to wire 20 or something like that. I have done it several times now.
Ahh! I figured it would be something like this. Out of the three positions on the flasher plug, one of them goes directly to ground on the frame just below where the flasher module bolts to the fender. I think it is the C terminal... I will find out this week!!!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chances might be your new loom is an older version, and doesn't have provisions for turn signals at all. It is easy to add the necessary wires along the existing pathways, and wrap the whole thing in tape again to cover the added wiring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks