• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring Winch on M1008

Randyw

How are you guys wiring your winch's up? I have the Mile Marker 12,000lbs winch and was wondering the best way to wire it up for operation. My truck is still has the 24 volt system. Pics would be helpful if anyone has some. Thanks in advance!

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How are you guys wiring your winch's up? I have the Mile Marker 12,000lbs winch and was wondering the best way to wire it up for operation. My truck is still has the 24 volt system. Pics would be helpful if anyone has some. Thanks in advance!
Is your winch hydraulic or electric?

If it's electric is it 12 volt or 24 volt?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is electric 12v
Well then you should hook up to the front battery for your power. Use an appropriate sized battery cable for power and ground, probably 2/0. Tie into the positive side, not sure how, maybe a marine type cable hook up so that you can tie in the cable from and to the rear battery and tie in the winch as well.

Attachments

Randyw

Well then you should hook up to the front battery for your power. Use an appropriate sized battery cable for power and ground, probably 2/0. Tie into the positive side, not sure how, maybe a marine type cable hook up so that you can tie in the cable from and to the rear battery and tie in the winch as well.

Thank You! I wanted to make sure there wasn't any special way to hook it up. Thanks again for your help.

BlueRoadster

Apparently I have insufficient privileges to post a new thread so I will ask here instead as it pertains to a 12 volt winch.
I have a 12 volt winch that I am wanting to use a separate battery for. I do not have nor can I currently afford a dual voltage alternator. So my question is this, can I charge a stand alone battery (a 3rd battery) by connecting to the forward battery of the truck as some have suggested connecting the winch to?
I would love to get a dual voltage alternator but at $800-$1500 that is a bit much for my blood.

Thanks,
Grant

snowtrac nome

Apparently I have insufficient privileges to post a new thread so I will ask here instead as it pertains to a 12 volt winch.
I have a 12 volt winch that I am wanting to use a separate battery for. I do not have nor can I currently afford a dual voltage alternator. So my question is this, can I charge a stand alone battery (a 3rd battery) by connecting to the forward battery of the truck as some have suggested connecting the winch to?
I would love to get a dual voltage alternator but at $800-$1500 that is a bit much for my blood.

Thanks,
Grant
There is no reason for a dual voltage alternator on a cucv, yes you can charge battery number 3 from the front battery. my suggestion would be to charge it through a battery isolator so you don't run down one of your starting battery's while winching.

BlueRoadster

A follow up. I saw on anther thread someone bought an Eaton SurePower DC 21100E00 Equalizer 100A 24 V To 12 Volt converter and used it so I purchased one of these too. So The way I understand it is I go straight from the alternator to the 24 volt input and then out the 12volt output to the battery. It show a switch between the alternator and the unit, do I need a switch there or can it be run straight?

MarcusOReallyus

I would not mess with the connection from the alternator. Make your 24v connection at the 24v buss bar at the firewall, behind the rear battery. Electrically it's the same, but I think you are asking for confusion down the road if you mess with that alternator connection. Plus, you are limiting the current your converter can draw, as the alternator lead is not huge.

As for the switch, yah, if you want to. It's not necessary, but might be handy.

Why a converter, though? You already have 12v available at the front battery.

BlueRoadster

Mainly to get more amps from the battery without taking much load from my truck batteries, if that makes sense. I think I posted this to the wrong group but I couldn't find this topic in HMMWV but the connections should be the same concept, right?

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Dunno. I have no clue how the HMMMV is wired. Any advice given here is predicated on CUCV wiring. It might not be correct for another vehicle. The CUCV is a weird beast.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks