• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO and the 8V92TA

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bought one of the Mk48 LVS trucks in Jacksonville - will the 8V92TA operate with a wmo/diesel mix? If so any experience with the mixing ratio? Thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It would smoke like a coal burning locomotive (added to the smoke it already produces burning the oil used to lube it). The double brested Yamaha likes very clean fuel.

If you filtered it down to the point it looked like new oil you could prob run a 80/20 mix.

Replacing an injector that was fouled by bad fuel would offset any savings you might realize by burning waste oil.

If you want to run alternative fuel in the beast I would recommend very clean and dewatered Waste Veggie Oil using a dual tank system (the MK48 has dual tanks). You would need a heat exchanger to heat the oil and a switching system to make sure the WVO did not get into the diesel system.

There is a huge amount of info on using WVO in diesels out on the net.

Vegetable Oil SVO WVO waste cooking oil as biofuel

ODdave

It seems so funny that the old driptroits like clean fuel when you think of how horrid looking diesel fuel was back in there hayday. Those things ran millions of miles on that crap, would they run longer / better now with cleaner fuel?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Those things ran millions of miles on that crap, would they run longer / better now with cleaner fuel?
Back in the day I drove a Freightliner with a 318 Detriot in it.......I was not a happy camper in that we did not have a mechanic that knew how to tune one up.

They would pour the oil from oil changes into the bulk fuel tanks and then use that fuel in the trucks (when we fueled on the yard). The fuel was filtered every step of the way and I think I remember there being at least two filters on my truck.

It smoked a lot....especially under load if it was lugged (Detriots run better wide open).

If you said "Hill" on the CB it would drop ten miles an hour.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Detroit 2-strokers don't tend to like fuels other than diesel...with ULSD, you could probably get away with a 90/10 or 80/20 mix in the summertime, as mentioned by wreckerman893. But my experiences with them has found best results with clean, straight diesel. Heavy oil mixes will result in heavy carbon & soot buildup.

Oh yeah, old 2-stroke Detroits LOVE bio-diesel! It has better lubricating properties than ULSD, just don't let it sit for very long or it will sludge up your fuel lines & filters. But as long as you keep it agitated, bio-diesel runs great in Detroits.

At least it runs great through my 4-53T currently (powering my 86 GMC 2500). I noticed an immediate difference with B2 & B5 biodiesel: less smoke on startup, a little more pep, and it starts easier.

If that 8V92TA has electronics on it (DDEC-whatever), I most definitely wouldn't run anything other than diesel through it....the electronics won't like it, especially if a sensor or two get sooted up.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Model : 8V-71
displacement : 9.3L ( 568ci )
Engine Configuration : V-8
Horsepower : 318

Last edited:

tokarev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of Bio Diesel two of my Military vehicles have been victims of the stuff. My Air Force Hyster forklift had at least 3/4 of an inch of goop in the bottom of its tank. The pickup pump was frozen up due to the stuff too. Runs great now after cleaning up the mess. My 89' M35A2C also was a victim - fuel pump and tank all crusty. Both came off MacDill AFB.

I guess its straight pump diesel for the beast wagon.

ODdave

Guess I was wrong. I refer to engines by there displacment, not the HP because it is WAY to much of a variable.

But technicaly a 6-53 is a 318.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks