• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worn Flexplate

jmenende

Howdy folks. My starter sometimes cranks but the engine does not turn over. I took off the clutch cover and found that in some parts of the flywheel there were areas shaved off by the starter not engaging fully. Since I bought it, the m1008 ocasionally does it but otherwise it starts right up. Im assuming the starter was bad at some point, did the damage until it was replaced or it might still be bad. I did not notice any shavings on the cover. Anyone had this issue before?

Attachments

GunnyM1009

Howdy folks. My starter sometimes cranks but the engine does not turn over. I took off the clutch cover and found that in some parts of the flywheel there were areas shaved off by the starter not engaging fully. Since I bought it, the m1008 ocasionally does it but otherwise it starts right up. Im assuming the starter was bad at some point, did the damage until it was replaced or it might still be bad. I did not notice any shavings on the cover. Anyone had this issue before?
Yes and a bad flexplate can chew up starters as well. I went through 3 starters before I finally replaced my flexplate.

cucvrus

jmenende

You do know that the flywheel and flex plate on these trucks are one in the same. CHEVROLET 6.2L/379 Flexplates - 139-tooth Ring Gear Tooth Quantity - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing
It can be changed without dropping the transmission. My experience has been if you have the starter rebuilt and have the support bracket in place you should be able to do this flex plate change 1 time and done. Do you know how to change it without dropping the transmission and transfer case.
No, i did not know they were one and the same. I also did not know that i could replace it without dropping the tranny. Looks like ive got some reading and ordering to do. Thanks alot guys.

GunnyM1009

No, i did not know they were one and the same. I also did not know that i could replace it without dropping the tranny. Looks like ive got some reading and ordering to do. Thanks alot guys.
I promise I wasn't trying to mislead you. A guy a learned a lot about mechanic work from jumped my crap every time I would call it a flywheel. He always said flywheels are on manuals and automatics have flexplates. Don't know if it's true or not but it stuck lol.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Flexplates are for automatics. Flywheels are for manuals. At least in the civilian/automotive world.

While you're replacing that flexplate, check the starter to make sure it's ok. Also make certain you reinstall the bracket to reinforce the starter. You'll be in a world of hurt if you don't.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto what Patracy said about the bracket. If you don't know already, there are two (2) different brackets; one for the original OEM direct-drive starter, and then a different bracket for the newer gear-reduction starters. They are not interchangeable. You will need to know which starter you have in order to know you have the correct bracket. Also, when you install the new flexplate, make sure you have the starter teeth spaced correctly with the flexplate teeth. If the spacing is incorrect you will be doing everything all over again soon. I will let somebody else (Rick) chime in about how to space the starter gear away from the flexplate. Here is a diagram which shows the correct spacing -

Starter Clearance.gif

Hope this helps.

cucvrus

OK you need the 6-bolt torque converter flywheel. This one will work. CHEVROLET ATP Automotive Z-136 ATP Flexplates | Summit Racing
Get 4 bolts prefer grade 8. They should be 4" long. Remove everything that attaches the transmission to the engine and frame. Remove the bolts at 9 o'clock, 11 o'clock 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock. Put the 3/8" X 4 " bolts in their place. Remove all the attaching fasteners including the 6-torque converter to flex plate bolts. Leave the transfer case and the crossmember attached. Using a sheet of plywood or a cement level surface and a floor jack slide the transmission / transfer case back about 4 inches. Be careful. You have the cooler lines and linkage to unhook of course. But you never need to drop the transmission. Slide the torque converter back into the transmission gently and you can reach up in there and get the 6 11/16" hex head bolts out that fasten the flex plate to the crank shaft. I done it many times out in the grass and in the garage. I done it on a lift and of course that was easier. I will probably buy a lift when I am retired and will use it wax my truck rocker panels and wheels. You should be able to do this in one afternoon. Be Safe and remove things that need removed. Don't bend them and try to realign them. Starter heat shield comes to mind and dip stick tube. Get a new cup seal for the dip stick tube while there. Good Luck. Ask questions. We are here to help. It takes basic hand tools. A flywheel tool would be nice to have. Lisle 23800 Fly Wheel Turner | JB Tools
But you could use a 15/16" deep socket and turn the front crank bolt clockwise. I think you can do it.

nyoffroad

Three options available. What would you consider to be zee best?
Make sure you order the one for a 1984 NOT the model year your truck is! You want one of the top two pictured, the third pic is of a flywheel but yet they are calling it a flexplate , possible wrong image as they are quite a bit more $$