• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WOW! I knew my MEP-002A would come in handy someday!!

joesco

Well after parting out some of the parts of my MEP-002a and selling the old Chinese knock-off genset, I was able to put the cash together to purchase a new Yanmar Diesel Genset.. The unit was purchased from Maine Central Diesel and it has a 10hp, 3600 rpm engine and generates 6.5kw. See the specs attached. It is a bare bones genset, about all the budget could afford right now.

As you can see from the picture, it looks like it belongs on the old donor skid frame from the 002a. I have the skid frame mounted to a very old trailer that has a fresh 3/4 piece of plywood bolted to it and beefed up frame.

Over the next few days, I need to plum in the 12 gallon marine tank I found on C/L. In the picture, you see the tank which is sitting high up on the shelf where the MEP control box use to be. I do have a few questions for all you generator / engine experts who had helped me so much in the past.

1) Will I need a 12v fuel pump beyond the spin-on fuel filter to get fuel to the IP or can I get away with fuel primer bulb, similar to what is used on an outboard motor tank? Or will there be enough gravity to send the fuel to the IP. If I need a 12v pump, any recommendations?

2) I have a new Hobbs DC hour meter from an old project. How do I wire the meter to the engine?

3) Any ideas on wiring in a oil pressure gauge and DC voltmeter also?

Thank folks and Merry Chirstmas!!!l

Attachments

Last edited:

derf

Gravity should work if the filter is below the lowest level of the tank and the IP is below the filter. It should be easy to find out. Just put some fuel in the tank, purge the filter, and see if fuel flows at the level of the IP.

Wire meter to ground and maybe to wire that holds solenoid, if it it +12V when running. You can wire to key switch but then you get hours switch is on and not necessarily run time hours. You may not have a choice, though, depending on how it is wired.

For oil pressure gauge get a mechanical gauge and plumb a T into the system between the block and the engine oil pressure switch. I would not bother to put a gauge on it, though.

That is a nice looking set. Looks like a MeccAlte head or clone thereof.

m38mike

That is a nice looking outfit. How did you like MCD as a dealer? Did they take good care of you? I'm looking to buy a 13kW honda powered gen set from them this spring. I've heard mostly good things about them. Wondered what your experience was.

joesco

This is the second diesel genset I have purchased from them over the last 5 years and other than missing the delivery time frame, they produced a real nice quality Yanmar Genset. Just call them because they tend to be slow in responding to emails.

That is a nice looking outfit. How did you like MCD as a dealer? Did they take good care of you? I'm looking to buy a 13kW honda powered gen set from them this spring. I've heard mostly good things about them. Wondered what your experience was.

joesco

Thanks for the advice. Gravity did not work, so I went to the local Wally World this morning and picked up a boat siphon kit with hoses, cut them to length, filled the fuel filter with diesel, squeezed the bulb a few times and he cranked right over. I did not want to install an DC electric fuel pump, so I am happy. See the pics.

Now I have to figure out the hour meter which is must. I agree and thanks, I will pass on an oil pressure gauge as it does have a low-oil shut down.

Gravity should work if the filter is below the lowest level of the tank and the IP is below the filter. It should be easy to find out. Just put some fuel in the tank, purge the filter, and see if fuel flows at the level of the IP.

Wire meter to ground and maybe to wire that holds solenoid, if it it +12V when running. You can wire to key switch but then you get hours switch is on and not necessarily run time hours. You may not have a choice, though, depending on how it is wired.

For oil pressure gauge get a mechanical gauge and plumb a T into the system between the block and the engine oil pressure switch. I would not bother to put a gauge on it, though.

Attachments

Keith_J

The Yanmar diesel should be fine with gravity-fed fuel as there is no return lines. Return fuel is used to cool injection pumps as well as provide displacement for the injector's needle (sometimes called a pintle).

For a running time meter, find a circuit with 12 volts on it when the engine is running. Most meters are very low draw "clocks". I'm not too terribly familiar with Yanmars but they should have a 12 volt line which is only on when running (switched).

derf

Yanmars have return lines. Are you keeping the engine mounted tank in the fuel circuit or bypassing it? I see now from the pic the Yanmar tank is gone. LMK if you want to get rid of it. The MEP-016D Yanmar L70 has a special tank with a float switch and is plumbed in with the "underbelly" tank of the 016. It uses an electric pump, though.
The 12V section should be pretty simple. If you want to be fancy you can get a 13V Zener diode and splice it in the hour meter line and just wire it parallel to the battery. The Zener will let the meter run if it sees more than 13V, which it should when running and charging properly.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-13V-1W-Zener-Diode/dp/B0002ZPJ54

Note, the MEPs are 24V DC on the starting and battery charging sections. The 30D36R is 12V DC. Your civvy Yanmar should be 12V, too.

joesco

Keith,
Thanks, but there was a return line on the factory tank and gravity did not work without the assist of the prime bulb installed beyond the fuel filter. See the pic in the above post.

I looked up the model number of the Hobbs meter I had laying around the shop and it is an AC meter / 50 hertz. Based on a few Googles, it just a matter of wiring up a plug to the meter and plugging it into the genhead, but will 50 hertz work?????

The Yanmar diesel should be fine with gravity-fed fuel as there is no return lines. Return fuel is used to cool injection pumps as well as provide displacement for the injector's needle (sometimes called a pintle).

For a running time meter, find a circuit with 12 volts on it when the engine is running. Most meters are very low draw "clocks". I'm not too terribly familiar with Yanmars but they should have a 12 volt line which is only on when running (switched).

joesco

Derf,
Thanks! The geny is running fine now with the assist of the Wally World primer bulb (see the pic attached. I don't need the brand new factory tank setup, so if you want it, PM me an offer on it. I am trying to avoid hoarding in my later years!!!

The hour meter I had lying around the shop is an A/C meter, but 50 hertz, so I wonder if it will work on this geny???? Thanks again!

Yanmars have return lines. Are you keeping the engine mounted tank in the fuel circuit or bypassing it? I see now from the pic the Yanmar tank is gone. LMK if you want to get rid of it. The MEP-016D Yanmar L70 has a special tank with a float switch and is plumbed in with the "underbelly" tank of the 016. It uses an electric pump, though.
The 12V section should be pretty simple. If you want to be fancy you can get a 13V Zener diode and splice it in the hour meter line and just wire it parallel to the battery. The Zener will let the meter run if it sees more than 13V, which it should when running and charging properly.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-13V-1W-Zener-Diode/dp/B0002ZPJ54

Note, the MEPs are 24V DC on the starting and battery charging sections. The 30D36R is 12V DC. Your civvy Yanmar should be 12V, too.

Attachments

PeterD

... it is an AC meter / 50 hertz. Based on a few Googles, it just a matter of wiring up a plug to the meter and plugging it into the genhead, but will 50 hertz work?????
No a 50 Hz meter will read 'faster' on a 60 Hz source of power. By about 17 % actually.

Hour meters are cheap, best bet is to just buy one.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice custom set up. For a long term solution the next one you build imho, I would go with a 1800rpm unit. Better on fuel and longevity.

I am giving you 1 rep point and 2 thumbs up for your ingenuity and perseverance in a job well done...[thumbzup][thumbzup]

derf

What PeterD said about the 50Hz meter. Best to get a meter from a lawn mower or boat application that is 12V.
I heart Yanmars. Those Japanese Italians seem to know how to make a nice 10HP motor. I wish they made vertical shaft 5HPs that I could use on my lawnmowers.

joesco

Thanks, found a DC hour meter on Amazon for a decent price. Thanks guys for the help...... AGAIN!

Yes, I think the L100 is one of the best engines made today and the Lombardini Diesel is a close second! My pyzano's do know their diesel engines!

What PeterD said about the 50Hz meter. Best to get a meter from a lawn mower or boat application that is 12V.
I heart Yanmars. Those Japanese Italians seem to know how to make a nice 10HP motor. I wish they made vertical shaft 5HPs that I could use on my lawnmowers.

joesco

BTW, it is a MeccAlte Genhead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks