• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker boom winch motor. Need new seal.

corvette9

Last week I was using my 936A2 and the boom winch motor started leaking where the manual shaft comes out the rear of the hyd. motor. The motor comes right off, less than 1/2 hour and it was on the bench. I pulled the front cover and found the seal that is leaking.

Now the fun part. There is no number on the seal. That would be to easy. Anybody here ever have to replace that seal? Any good idea where to get one. I did call memphis equip. but they have nothing. No listing. no numbers. I will call some others today but thought maybe someone here has been down this road. Never hurts to ask. The motor dose not even have a tag or stamping to identify it.

Brian G.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to find the manufacturer by looking up the NSN number in the parts TM for the motor . Dohead has posted several times recently how google the NSN number , look through his recent posts to find it.

corvette9

Thats part of the problem. I found the exploded view in TM 9-2320-260-34/2 figure 20-56. This is a 800 series TM. The motor is the same. When I found this page it seems like the next pages that would have all the NSN numbers that would match this page are not coming up. So I have the view but no info. Funny thing is that in the exploded view I do not see the seal.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats part of the problem. I found the exploded view in TM 9-2320-260-34/2 figure 20-56. This is a 800 series TM. The motor is the same. When I found this page it seems like the next pages that would have all the NSN numbers that would match this page are not coming up. So I have the view but no info. Funny thing is that in the exploded view I do not see the seal.
You should probably be using the TM's for the 939 series truck since it is a M936A2.

corvette9

I tried that but could not find the exploded view. The winch motor is the same M543 and up. I have called every MV parts place I know and none can find the parts I need in the TM. looks like I will have to check some hyd. repair places or I'll have the cover machined for a common seal. This is crazy. For a few dollar part my truck is down and nobody in the MV parts world has the seal or knows what I'm talking about. I must be the only one to ever have this seal leak.

corvette9

A&L is one of the places I will go to. They fix my frame machine pumps a few times a year. I just thought it would be an easy part to get. It is such a poor setup I figured it would be a common seal.

Brian G.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let us know what you come up with.
My wrecker has the Parker motor on it and I have had that rebuilt.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed , haven't started working on my wrecker yet, however it has several static leaks that I have not looked at. Hopefully just seals.

corvette9

That search may be of some help. Thanks. In post #11 by nf6x he shows two pics. The top one is on his 936 the other a 543. My 936 has the same pump as his 543. So the pic of the tag should be my model number. Mine is leaking where you see the the 4 point shaft sticking out of the motor. That must be so you can work the motor with a 4 point socket. I'll do some research today. When I find numbers for the seal I will post them.

Brian G.

Last edited:

corvette9

I found the right seals. the seal numbers are 8406-0137. 8400 series nitrile u cup 1.375x1.750x188.

There are two of these in the motor.They go on the shaft that go into the winch and the other end is the 4 point shaft sticking out the rear of the motor. I found them at a hydraulics comp. near me. I'll get it back together in a few days.

charlesmann

old thread i know. but my winch motor is starting to leak in the same place. is there a depot level tm out there for these things, or is it a, take it to the dealer type rebuild?

Snughill

old thread i know. but my winch motor is starting to leak in the same place. is there a depot level tm out there for these things, or is it a, take it to the dealer type rebuild?
On the ones we have done pop the front plate off where the wind nut is clean the shaft and replace the o ring should be good to go. It seems if they sit for a long time the shaft rusts and tears the o ring.

charlesmann

On the ones we have done pop the front plate off where the wind nut is clean the shaft and replace the o ring should be good to go. It seems if they sit for a long time the shaft rusts and tears the o ring.
are we talking bout the same place? maybe i misread where his was leaking. here is my thread with a pic.

not sure if its the same place, unless the o-ring he is talking about goes on both the output and inside of the housing where mine is leaking from.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks