• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Question

Cigarjoe

I don't know if this is the right place for this question or not. I need to know how the run how operate the boom, basically from start to finish? I was helping a friend recover one the other day and we could not get it to work. We got the rear wench to work but could not get the boom to do anything. Thank you for your help in advance.

steelandcanvas

I don't know if this is the right place for this question or not. I need to know how the run how operate the boom, basically from start to finish? I was helping a friend recover one the other day and we could not get it to work. We got the rear wench to work but could not get the boom to do anything. Thank you for your help in advance.
You probably should do a lttle reading before you goof you, your buddy, or the wrecker up.....under Resources there is a link to TM's. Too nice of a piece of machinery to be playing and not knowing what you're doing.2cents

Cigarjoe

You probably should do a lttle reading before you goof you, your buddy, or the wrecker up.....under Resources there is a link to TM's. Too nice of a piece of machinery to be playing and not knowing what you're doing.2cents
Ya I think your right. One person has already told me that the lever in the back is pushed towards the back to engage the boom and he was trying to force it to the front, and was saying it was stuck and was kicking it to make it go.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am glad I have a smart son who knows how to do all of this. I learned how to operate the boom, along with the M816 owner, while we pulled the deuce out of a well. Powerhousedeuce gave both of us a crash course. We had issues with the rear lever and we kept activating the rear winch until the PHD got it adjusted. We did have the TM for reference. Read the TM and then go find a smart kid...

rizzo

I am glad I have a smart son who knows how to do all of this. I learned how to operate the boom, along with the M816 owner, while we pulled the deuce out of a well. Powerhousedeuce gave both of us a crash course. We had issues with the rear lever and we kept activating the rear winch until the PHD got it adjusted. We did have the TM for reference. Read the TM and then go find a smart kid...
my pto engagement lever was stuck in my truck when I got it. I had to get underneath and move it with a pry bar. After I moved it a few times I was able to use it normally

Crash_AF

My 816's rear controls are frozen as well, luckily mine is frozen in the 'crane' position. It's on my list of 'to do's'.

And I agree, reading the TMs is important. The 816 is very expensive to repair, and any crane can kill you if you do not know what you are doing with rigging or lifting. Always respect the amount of weight you have in the air.

As to how to make it work, you've got half of it since the rear winch worked. You need to move the winch control lever to off either through operating the lever or disconnecting the linkage under the bed and moving it, then move the crane lever to on. Then you can operate the crane itself.

The levers in the gondola are self explanatory except for 'crowd' which is making the boom shorter or longer.

Later,
Joe

Sgt. Sam

m62

Well--first start the engine. put the transmisson in 3 gear and tranfer in nutrel .then go back by the rear winch ther you will finde a lever to engage the crane. Next get in the drivers seat and find a lever on the left side betweenthe seat and cab. pull lever forword Engine should be running at aboutr 1500 RPM.
If all else is working You should be in buisnes

dmetalmiki

Proccedures

If you havent the manual or data plates missing here's the instructions. Set electric brake hold. Depress Clutch.Place transmission in 5th gear. Place xfr in neutral. Unlock and engage PTO. set RPM's to 1500. Release Clutch smoothly. On rear deck Disengage clutch. (lift) :Unlock and engage crane operation lever firmly (BY HAND) Re-Engage Clutch smoothly. (when Crowding out (extending) -LOWER the sheave block at the same time to prevent the sheaves fouling the Boom. To cease crane operations, Dis-engage Clutch, Dis-engage crane operating lever (Firmly.BY Hand) and lock. Re-engage Clutch. Smoothly. :: Reduce RPM's to idle..Place Gearshift in Neutral. Dis-engage Power take off. and lock. Engage Xfr. Unlock electric brake hold. good luck have fun..Be safe. as a "team" practice 3 / 4 times it is a massively satisfying machine to use. If lifting to the side use the outriggers. and ALWAYS check that there is NO obstructions inboard or outboard.