• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrong dash pad?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok. The upper left part isn't fitting so maybe the instrument panel is wrong?
That gray dash pad is not the original. The originals were a "burgundy/brown" color that matched the door panels and seats. The dash basil is the proper one but the PO must of converted to 12 volt . The non stock 12 volt meter in the dash tells all.
Enjoy your restoration project.

Navin

That gray dash pad is not the original. The originals were a "burgundy/brown" color that matched the door panels and seats. The dash basil is the proper one but the PO must of converted to 12 volt . The non stock 12 volt meter in the dash tells all.
Enjoy your restoration project.
Thanks for the information. Would I be wrong to assume that any GM squarebody vehicle from around the mid 80s will work?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an 85 m1009 that I want to restore and wanted to know if you think it has the wrong dash or instrument panel? Maybe both?
May I suggest:
If your just at the "beginning stages of your restoration" you may want to prioritize your repairs first. Run that ride of yours for awhile before you start dumping big dollars in to cosmetics such as the dash pad. There may be more urgent repairs needed that should be tended to first. Get to know her needs first so you can develop a well thought out structured restoration. A good dash pad replacement will look great but it wont help you much if you don't have the funds to replace the head gaskets, or rebuild the tranny.

ehuppert

CUCV's came with "burgundy" / reddish interiors when new. When replaced "in service" the military sourced GM replacements were gray. Most of the organizational mnt didn't paint the gray ones, just installed!

Navin

May I suggest:
If your just at the "beginning stages of your restoration" you may want to prioritize your repairs first. Run that ride of yours for awhile before you start dumping big dollars in to cosmetics such as the dash pad. There may be more urgent repairs needed that should be tended to first. Get to know her needs first so you can develop a well thought out structured restoration. A good dash pad replacement will look great but it wont help you much if you don't have the funds to replace the head gaskets, or rebuild the tranny.
I'm very pleased with the drive train and suspension. I got lucky I believe. Also no rust! The abuse it received was from one owner jumping sand dunes and kinking the right front fender and bumper and brackets. Those I can replace with parts I have on hand. Dashes and electrical wiring problems and such seem to alway be present when I aquire an ole squarebody to restore. I would be very interested in replacing the idiot lights with regular guages if there's a kit to do that. Thanks for the response!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks