• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WS-133 Minuteman Missle carrier Truck :) Weight?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That is really cool. I'd assume there's a data plate either inside on the dash somewhere. Or on the door jamb that would state the weight of it. That's gonna be a interesting tow. You'll need a long landall or something along those lines to tow it I think. Unless there's a shackle point up front to hook a towbar or a wrecker to hook to.

jake1086

That is really cool. I'd assume there's a data plate either inside on the dash somewhere. Or on the door jamb that would state the weight of it. That's gonna be a interesting tow. You'll need a long landall or something along those lines to tow it I think. Unless there's a shackle point up front to hook a towbar or a wrecker to hook to.

Ya its... roughly 30ft... was flip floppin the idea of throwing it on one of my 40 ft. goose necks, but if I get pulled over I would probably be in trouble haha. I didnt even think to look at the data plate! I havent even opened the door on it, so much vegetation around it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats to the purchase!

Not intending to hijack, but I tried to find out what a "WS-133" was. Wow...GMC V-12 engine.....and I found a little article and pic:

WS133 missile carrier.JPG

The 702 cci GMC V-12 had me all giggly....here is more info on it:

GMC V12.JPG

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@jake1086 that paint scheme would look very neat. Can you imagine recreating one of those trailers and taking the complete rig to shows? I wouldn't think an original trailer survived (in the wild; outside of a museum). You definitely grabbed a rare truck!

jake1086

@jake1086 that paint scheme would look very neat. Can you imagine recreating one of those trailers and taking the complete rig to shows? I wouldn't think an original trailer survived (in the wild; outside of a museum). You definitely grabbed a rare truck!

Ya I read somewhere, they made buyers scrap the trailers on site under supervision. Dunno if that's true or not, but even if not, there was probably a lot of aluminum in an otherwise useless trailer for a normal truck haha.

The idea crossed my mind of recreating a trailer, but I dont think I'll even attempt it... The 5 stage hydraulic cylinders alone make my wallet pucker.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those trucks, if I recall correctly were supposed to be scrapped. The trailers were supposed to be scrapped as well. That was part of the START treaty that saw the removal of the Minute Man (MM) 1 and 2. All the silos except one were imploded, again as the result of the START treaty.
I spent 10 years in the missile fields. I was assigned in 1996, which was about the time the MM2 was removed from service. I saw the end of Peacekeeper as well. Anything related to ICBMs gets into levels of classification I won’t try and go any further.
That truck is a rare find. It had to be capable of moving a MM 1 from point A to point B then set the missile in the launcher. The missiles weighed in excess of 100,000 lbs.

jake1086

Those trucks, if I recall correctly were supposed to be scrapped. The trailers were supposed to be scrapped as well. That was part of the START treaty that saw the removal of the Minute Man (MM) 1 and 2. All the silos except one were imploded, again as the result of the START treaty.
I spent 10 years in the missile fields. I was assigned in 1996, which was about the time the MM2 was removed from service. I saw the end of Peacekeeper as well. Anything related to ICBMs gets into levels of classification I won’t try and go any further.
That truck is a rare find. It had to be capable of moving a MM 1 from point A to point B then set the missile in the launcher. The missiles weighed in excess of 100,000 lbs.

They're heavy for sure loaded weight was 133,000 in total according to the Web. Part of me hopes you're right and every other one besides air force bases is scrapped, part of me wonders if they'd come looking for me🤣🤣

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're heavy for sure loaded weight was 133,000 in total according to the Web. Part of me hopes you're right and every other one besides air force bases is scrapped, part of me wonders if they'd come looking for me🤣🤣
If you are concerned about them reaching out to you, there is a possibility of determining its ownability. The Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB is my #1 go to for all such questions. Second option is find the stock number on the data plate. It can be used to research anything and everything that ever was about that stock number. I know I can search the FedLog database. It’s usually up to date, usually. And finally, someone can contact the people over at Warren AFB. Actually, they’re the first and best people to talk to.
The tricky part is that START treaty. What was the requirements for all the direct support missile equipment? There’s a treaty office, at least there used to be… hmmm. Look to your other options. Only go to the treaty office as a last option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks