• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WW2 Photos Old Iron

maxim

I was given a book showing the 44th Infantry from landing at Cherbourg to the border of Austria , 1944-1945. Hundreds of photos in all aspects the Division's movement. Here are some of the pictures involving the need for a huge amount of trucks, jeeps, cranes, tanks and other associated vehicles. The interesting note is the amount of modification done to each vehicle out of neccessity to get the job done. Nearly all the jeeps are wearing the line cutting pole out front and dressed up for protection from the weather and fighting, (sand bags). The one shot of the DKUW shows the truck had traveled all the way to Austria. The heading showed a 6 ton Prime Mover in a muddy situation. Hope you enjoy and maybe get some ideas for 'dressing' them up to depict MV's in actual combat appearance. Not the pretty, pristine condition coming off the assenbly line.

Attachments

CGarbee

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
One other resource that I like for period photos of WWII vehicles is at the Library of Virginia. They have digitized a huge number of United States Army Signal Corps photos from Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation, Newport News, Virginia. Idea that the Signal Corps had was to provide a historical record of everything that came or went at the port during the war...

Go to this site and then follow the link for digitized photo collections and have fun...
http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwehave/photo/index.htm

Included are tests of DUKW, CCKW's being checked out, used, and loaded, assembly line painting of jerry cans, and others. My personal favorites are the ones showing how to maximize storage space for those of use who keep buying trucks... (see the Dodge photo...).

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I thought I'd be quite surprised if the that first pic was on the internet, but I figured I'd better give Goggle a look. I see another DUKW in the same place from a different angle (correction, it is the same pic but flipped and not cropped). Pic give location is Anzio. Another site shows a brace of ducks on the beach. The ones below [here] are from the first link, which looks like it has a lot of other decent WWII pictures, though the quality is rather poor. All these look like very early Kodachrome, not colorized B/W. The beach photos were surely taken by the same GI.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/us-navy/k14065.jpg.html

.:SonicBomb:.

Attachments

Last edited:

maxim

Photography is changing. The ease of digital is a blessing and a curse. From the days of the Civil War where an entire wagon was needed to haul plates and developing equipment to the combat photgraphers of WW1 with large box cameras and some early movies. Although this is site about MV's, the human factor yet can not be ignored. This news article will show not only soldiers , but them proudly standing by thier early transportation equipment. Over 2,000 glass plate photos were found in France showing mostly Australian troops in a rear area to 'relax'. Imagine going into combat with a coverted car made mostly of wood.

Sunday Night Galleries

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks