• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII aircraft food tray galley FTG-3-1

djasinski

I just picked up a Food Tray Galley model FTG-3-1 made by the Tappan Stove Company. I know that it held food for long flight on WWII bombers, but I don't know if it keeps it cold or warm or both. I do not have the power cord but I was told that it worked with a makeshift 115V extension cord. If you know where I can get any more info about this, please let me know.

Thanks, Dave

djasinski

Can this be used to both heat and cool food. If so, how to i change it. there are no switches on the unit.

steelypip

This is neat - I had no idea that any of these survived the great scrapping after WWII. I know the 'oven' was bulkhead-mounted on all the B-52s at the aft end of of 'downstairs.' As big as that warmer is, I'm not sure where it could have gone on a B-17, maybe by the navigator's position somewhere. B-24s had more interior volume, and B-29s had more still (though not as much as you might think because much of it wasn't pressurized). We have a B-29 crewchief around here somewhere - you might ask him, as I'm sure he can ask somebody at CAF if he doesn't know himself.

steelypip

TO AN 1-3-49 seems like the answer to most of your questions about the unit itself, and the other manuals explain how to use what to actually feed your aircrews. Very interesting reading about something of which I knew very little. Amusing that USAAF went through the aluminum ==> stainless cycle in less than two years because of 'objectionable taste and odor.'

gerrykan

Thanks AFHRA.
Years ago, I obtained a couple of the stainless mugs with lids as shown in your second picture.

I was told they were coffee mugs from a WWII bomber.
That did make sense, as a hot liquid transferred the heat directly to the handle making it unpleasant to hold, but if you were wearing gloves at high altitude it would be no problem.

Now to remember where I put them. :mad:

Poccur

I just picked up a Food Tray Galley model FTG-3-1 made by the Tappan Stove Company. I know that it held food for long flight on WWII bombers, but I don't know if it keeps it cold or warm or both. I do not have the power cord but I was told that it worked with a makeshift 115V extension cord. If you know where I can get any more info about this, please let me know.

Thanks, Dave
My understanding is they had a 27V plug for use on the B-29 and a 115V plug for use on the ground....
1704766892268.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks