• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XL Michelin

coachgeo

considering a set of 49's I saw to mate with my high speed 3rds. to get a final engine rpm at cruise speed. they are getting harder to find than hens teeth. seeking more detail.... they may not be worth shiat (if have old date code for example) ... buttt.... if they are???

would they be appropriate for a expedition outfitted M1078? specs beside height are just above the Mvt most of us run and seems to still run on their 1079's and expo campers. EXCEPT SPEED..... looks like 14rs0's would be averaging a speed at the top of their limit. MVT..... in our trucks you'll never get near max speed lol

Stock MVT: Max Load 9,370 lbs @ 95 psi ., 5 Ply Steel Cord Tread., 1 Ply Steel Cord Sidewall., Load Range g., 81mph max speed

14r20XL: Max Load Single 9,920 lbs @ 100 psi., 4 Ply Steel Cord Tread., 1 Play Steel Cord Sidewall., load range j., max speed 56mph

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Michelin XL tires are dangerous tires and have a bad record of sidewall blowouts. Especially with the age they have reached by now. Out of the 4 sets of tires. Featuring XL, XZL and AT3s. The XLs have suffered the most blowouts. They have weak sidewalls.

There are plenty of At2s out there in circulation but they seem to go egg shaped.
I would look at 11R24.5s. That is near the same height or 12R24.5s.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Michelin XL tires are dangerous tires and have a bad record of sidewall blowouts. Especially with the age they have reached by now. Out of the 4 sets of tires. Featuring XL, XZL and AT3s. The XLs have suffered the most blowouts. They have weak sidewalls......
was sorta remembering something about either xml's or xl's having this issue but could not find the threads on this on the net. Obviously used wrong search terms.

Only problem with going 24.5 you suggest is you add another bukooo bucks in custom rims.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
was sorta remembering something about either xml's or xl's having this issue but could not find the threads on this on the net. Obviously used wrong search terms.

Only problem with going 24.5 you suggest is you add another bukooo bucks in custom rims.
Custom wheels for what? Most of the 22.5,24 and 24.5 have the same offset as the military 20in. There is a company in Florida that makes ag wheels for cheap. They quoted me on some 25in budd patterns for $165 ea. That is pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Goodyear AT2s have a hard sidewall. they tend to only go on heavy trucks as they like heavy trucks to compress them for a better ride. They even get egg shaped. Why I dont sell any used ones except as spares only.

jaws4518

Cold Beer
Michelin XL tires are dangerous tires and have a bad record of sidewall blowouts. Especially with the age they have reached by now. Out of the 4 sets of tires. Featuring XL, XZL and AT3s. The XLs have suffered the most blowouts. They have weak sidewalls.

There are plenty of At2s out there in circulation but they seem to go egg shaped.
I would look at 11R24.5s. That is near the same height or 12R24.5s.
I have 395/85 R20 XZL on M929 dump. They do have the run-flat installed. What is the track record on those? I thought about buying another set, but maybe the ole standard 11.0/20 Hawk or Armstrong is the way to go. I'm really looking for reliability and durability. Some local VFDs told me they don't use super singles on the fire trucks. They can't handle the load. Opinions?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I ran 395s XZLs for about 40k miles of on highway use loaded. They wear great. And no front wheel hop

14.00s are available in XZLs. We have some new and 90 percent tires for sale. 2010 and newer date codes. No cracking or dry rotting. A 12R24.5 is the same size as well.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goodyear AT2s have a hard sidewall. they tend to only go on heavy trucks as they like heavy trucks to compress them for a better ride. They even get egg shaped. Why I dont sell any used ones except as spares only.
I have AT2's and at least 2 out of the 6 are out of round. Makes for a very bouncy ride at certain speeds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks