• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Xm211. 6x6 non op?

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a very nice xm211 this week. Looks great, runs and stops very well. Today I was backing it into a parking spot and the rear wheels began to spin on gravel as the front axle needed to climb over a 6x6 timber. No luck. The front axle would not pull. The whole 6x6 system on this truck is new to me. I’ve read over the TM and not sure how it’s supposed to work. Tm says it will auto engage when the rear slips.

This didn’t engage So something is not working. The truck has the Memphis equipment manual shifter on the hydromatic.

Attachments

What I have found on my M211 is the mechanical linkage on the transfer case that pulls the rail out or let the spring pull the rail back in can not be adjusted enough before it interferes with something else . The linkage need to pull the rail out maybe 2 inches but the linkage will only pull it out 1 inch .
Maybe why on the later series trucks M35 they used a air cylinder to get more travel of the rail . It has been years since I had trouble with my truck so I hope I remember right . In reverse it should be 6X6 drive and forward you should have rear wheel drive till the rear start to spin and the front axle will engage .
I ended up swapping out mt transfer case to one that worked like it should .
If you can jack up one wheel on the front axle and have some one pull the rail out on the transfer case and have someone rotate the steer tire you should feel it lock up . Hope this helps

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible the previous owner desplined the drive hubs or left off the front driveshaft?
The shift tower controls both the hydramatic and moving the transfer case linkage. With the engine off, see if moving the shift lever from neutral to drive to reverse causes the shift rod on the transfer case to move in and out. The mechanism can get sticky.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it possible the previous owner desplined the drive hubs or left off the front driveshaft?
The shift tower controls both the hydramatic and moving the transfer case linkage. With the engine off, see if moving the shift lever from neutral to drive to reverse causes the shift rod on the transfer case to move in and out. The mechanism can get sticky.
The front drive shaft is in place. Possible it has desplined shafts but not certain at this point.

The shift rod moves out when in reverse but there is no movement going into the forward position. Not sure if the REB system affects this. First pic truck in reverse low. Second pic truck is F2 high

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The REB does not interface with the transfer case. If the front driveshaft free spins, then your drive flanges are desplined or possible broken shaft.
It’s been many years but I vaguely remember the transfer shift rod needs to pull out more than that in order to shift the transfer into reverse.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The REB does not interface with the transfer case. If the front driveshaft free spins, then your drive flanges are desplined or possible broken shaft.
It’s been many years but I vaguely remember the transfer shift rod needs to pull out more than that in order to shift the transfer into reverse.
Thanks. Suppose I could disconnect the linkage and try to work by hand.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fill it, run it, drain it, fill it, run it, drain it, fill it, run it, drain it, fill it. Started to sound like a rap song.

What a beautiful rig. Let's jump in and go do a 0-50mph run. I'd hope she just needs a good work over, a re-torque on every bolt, new fluids, check for cotter pins in the tie rod ends/ steering, adjust the e-brake so it can be used, check for cracks in the e-drum and go.

There's some fast violent motion in that TC so if it's not broke it could just be dirty. Once linkages are tight and juice is up, keep driving. Goose came around after a rinse. The Goat had to be torn down with a dark....non burned.....tar inside, Gracie was full of water but that TC works fine. It's Speculated that some TC's can get real hot so that 80/90 weight hangs things up after time.

tmtcexp.jpgtmtc.jpg

There can be some loud noise that goes with engagement so once you know the TC is juiced with clean fluid.........hit it again but a little harder. Gizmo is the only truck that seemed to 'bite' with a slight noise as soon as R is selected. Goose would pause, slip and sound like a hammer hit the belly pan. Gracie was a heavy 220/207 that never made a noise and never got stuck so she worked as intended.

3trucks.jpg

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fill it, run it, drain it, fill it, run it, drain it, fill it, run it, drain it, fill it. Started to sound like a rap song.

What a beautiful rig. Let's jump in and go do a 0-50mph run. I'd hope she just needs a good work over, a re-torque on every bolt, new fluids, check for cotter pins in the tie rod ends/ steering, adjust the e-brake so it can be used, check for cracks in the e-drum and go.

There's some fast violent motion in that TC so if it's not broke it could just be dirty. Once linkages are tight and juice is up, keep driving. Goose came around after a rinse. The Goat had to be torn down with a dark....non burned.....tar inside, Gracie was full of water but that TC works fine. It's Speculated that some TC's can get real hot so that 80/90 weight hangs things up after time.

View attachment 896262View attachment 896263

There can be some loud noise that goes with engagement so once you know the TC is juiced with clean fluid.........hit it again but a little harder. Gizmo is the only truck that seemed to 'bite' with a slight noise as soon as R is selected. Goose would pause, slip and sound like a hammer hit the belly pan. Gracie was a heavy 220/207 that never made a noise and never got stuck so she worked as intended.

View attachment 896264
I have done a few recent runs to 55mph plus. No issues there . Trans is filled with 30wt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks