• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM215 Dump Box Question

jcdeblonk

Hey All...I've been lurking for awhile now, but need some thought/input. We are in the process of bringing an '52 XM215 back to fully functional state. Our initial plan was to address safety first. Brakes, bearings, lights, etc... and then repaint. As with most projects, the scope changes as we start to look at the truck as one of our own. Now we are fabricating a hardtop. Already fabricated a spare carrier. Now the question becomes...the dump box. This box took a pretty tough hit on the left top rail (see pic). We have the ability to cut it out and fab replacement parts but not sure that makes sense. Should we leave as is because it is part of this trucks "life" or is a little (read a lot) of cosmetic surgery a better choice? And....GO!
IMG_3420.jpgIMG_3416.jpg

Last edited:

SturmTyger380

It’s up to you. But ask yourself will you be constantly seeing that ding or can you forget it?

If you will be haunted by it then fix it. Alan

gentrysgarage

Here is my take on it,
If you had left it with the patina, rust and flakes as you probably got it in...no I would not fix it..your XM215 probably had the character of a battleworn bulldog...very cool. As you have painted it, I would fix it as my eye would be drawn to that ugly dent and not the rest of of this wonderful truck!

On another note, please post pics and descriptions of your hardtop and spare tire carrier build as I will be attempting those soon and I always like to learn from others rather than jumping in cold!

jcdeblonk

Unfortunately, the "patina" was black primer from prior owner who partially sand blasted about 10 years ago.
Picture is from the day we picked it up.
IMG_3058.jpg

jcdeblonk

Here are some pics of the spare carrier. I have full CAD models on these parts if you need...Actually doing a full CAD model of the entire truck in case it goes down the road someday.
IMG_3422.jpgIMG_3423.jpgIMG_3424.jpg

gentrysgarage

Nice work!

edit: going for something a little robust (read lighter..trying for the featherlight title of m135/211s!) for my spare tire..but that cab roof WOW! I would love to have CAD drawings of that. Maybe in the future we could have a CAD drawings sticky...I am working on the M135 bed drawings now...want to see, touch take tons of pics with measurements before I go any further with it.

Last edited:

DUUANE

That is a nice truck! Ive always wanted an M211 dump. Great work on the new roof..once our new house is finnished i have a promise to keep to myself and start learning the cad suite in ubuntu and make drawings of all the important things in the shop..and my head. Of all the things i wish i could manufacture..more time is at the number 1 spot.

tobyS

With a torch in one hand and a hammer in the other, about anything can be made straight.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a torch in one hand and a hammer in the other, about anything can be made straight.
I've straightened many top rails on dump boxes with this method . A nice heavy piece of square or rectangular steel held on the side opposite to the side you strike with a hammer will make it nice and straight .

jcdeblonk

Looking back at the pics really did not show the reason behind my conundrum. Looks like someone already tried heat and hammer before we got this. The blow had to have been massive, as the box has a slight rack and the side rail has pushed the gussets out of line. These show it better. I think if we cut out center section behind the gussets and pull/push the side straight an replace the top rail and side section it will look ok. Then I suppose we will re-skin the lower side rails...but that may be it. I was hoping for "it's a working truck, let it look like it" comments to give me a good reason not to fix.
IMG_3426.jpgIMG_3427.jpgIMG_3428.jpgIMG_3430.jpg

tobyS

I've straightened many top rails on dump boxes with this method . A nice heavy piece of square or rectangular steel held on the side opposite to the side you strike with a hammer will make it nice and straight .
Yes, not just the rails, but those bulges. The metal is stretched out and heating to red takes the temper out and allows it to be brought back to (near) flat. I wished I had done more of that to my 817, but they were not as bad as on this 215.

Nice truck by the way. A rare find. Make her straight!

OOps...got this up before seeing the pic above....needs new metal or a LOT of time straightening. Go for it....you have a rare truck.

Edit....I would cut the entire side plate out, have a pieces of 10ga formed and replace it with new. With the plate off, the side supports can be made straight too.

Attachments

Last edited:

jcdeblonk

Yeah, we just discussed the side wall replacement. Looks like we'll cut out full length of side and top rail. Keep the gussets and straighten them up and replace with new metal. Then we'll clean the lower rail up and cap the face of it.
Thanks for the input all!!
Nice 817...had those in my platoon as an 1LT...

tobyS

Sold it and couldn't stand being without a dump. With some luck I got an M929A2 from North Dakota via GSA. Buying on 5 pictures was a gamble, but thankfully worked out.

You'll love having the dump.

Have you talked about a formed lip on the bottom too. It would give it some strength, otherwise you need a solid weld (which you may want to do with a lip also). It's stitch welded on my dump trailer and is a place for water to get into the rest of the frame.

I also block up my bed so water will not set. I usea a 4x8x12 wood block but if I were fabbing, I would build in about a 12" front leg/support to hold it up for drainage.

jcdeblonk

The existing box is butt up to the base and full welded on the outside...looks nice. We will full weld everything as well. This dump box assembly has rear props for service and drainage...but you have the box up at about 75% full height. The lower lip constitutes the fender and is formed, but has the front and rear clipped and capped...again nice work for '50's...And the color is not as green as the flash makes it look...it is the correct enamel.
IMG_3431.jpgIMG_3432.jpgIMG_3434.jpgIMG_3433.jpgIMG_3435.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Nice truck! I also vote to fix the bedside since the rest of the truck looks so good. I parted out an xm215 last year but some of the spare tire brackets were lost during transit.
My m59 dump truck has the same bed on it and I bought a rough m215 just to use the cab protector off it. If you ever find a nice m59 cab protector I'll trade you for my m215 one. The m59 protector is shorter and will hit the cab on a GMC.

tobyS

I was referring to making an additional prop at the front to hold it just far enough to drain, like about 12", similar to the front. I carry a block but it would be nice just to fold up or down a steel support.

Since you have access to both sides on the bottom, those many (small) dents (showing on pic 4) can be mostly removed too.

Keep us informed as you have fun!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks