• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

You Bought HOW Many?

Mile374

Last year at this time I didn't know an M939 from an M817. But I'm certainly getting an education.

As the treasurer, de facto purchasing agent (also mechanic, janitor, etc.) for a small rural community in Alaska, it was my pleasure to write a check last fall for an M929A2 in very good shape, and then drive it home, where it was put to use almost immediately. Fast forward to just over a month ago. Six or seven M923A2's and M925A2's were sitting in the lot at government surplus so I called to get an idea what they were going for. The price sounded right, and I took it to the board of directors. With two others, we drove in to make a purchase of two, possibly three. After seeing that we were serious, the man in charge quoted an even better price if we would take four. A hurried telephone conference with other board members, and we closed the deal with another check.

Picked out two 923's and two 925's, and the two that started the quickest AND had working personnel heaters (it's still getting well below zero here at night) were driven off that afternoon. Of the two left to pick up, one had a bad alternator and both had bad batteries. A new alternator has been installed on the 925 that needed it, along with a pair of Interstate 31-PMHD batteries. The four trucks had two slave cables between them, so I'm waiting until the trucks get home to swap out the batteries in the 923. As long as one starts, it can get the other one started (I hope). Both of these last two trucks have good, working personnel heaters, but we'll wait until it warms up to around freezing to go in and pick them up for the trip home.

After getting the 929 dump truck, I started downloading TM's and believe I have most of the important ones. Locating sources of parts is the next major task, although all the trucks have been pretty well maintained by their looks. Due to these trucks possibly seeing wintertime (in Alaska!) use, a drum of Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic has been procured to help with cold weather starting as well as protecting them if someone gets forgetful about maintaining them on schedule.

All the tires have plenty of meat on them, and most hold air - to some degree. But with 5 trucks equaling 35 tires, we should be able to find a spare somewhere if we need one. With a background as a diesel mechanic, as well as once being co-owner of a truck repair shop, working on these trucks will be primarily a matter of becoming familiar with them. But there are undoubtedly areas where the process can be sped up through reading posts on this forum and, when that fails to yield the necessary info, asking questions of the knowledgeable members who frequent this site.

In a way, I now know how a first-time father of quintuplets must feel. :grin:

Looking forward to sharing stories, photos, lies, and advice with the rest of you.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard! "Anything worth doing is worth doing right!" Sounds like you have the experience to keep em rolling. I would like a 939 series truck myself, but I don't have multi unit purchasing power! TONS of information here, manuals and personal experience! Better yet, GREAT people.
God bless,
Tony

Mile374

What will you use them for?
Actually a very good question. Answer: We're not entirely sure at this point.

In a part of our tiny community we have to build and maintain our own roads. The land there, other than that which is now privately owned, belongs to the Federal government, which has no road maintenance capability. The state will not maintain the roads because they do not own them. So we, with government surplus equipment purchased at a price we can afford, do it all ourselves. Right now we are in the process of building a second road to access the area from the state road. So we are clearing the land of trees, and one of the trucks can be used to haul the trees away to be used for firewood.

We also have plans to let community members use the trucks to haul firewood for themselves, charging just enough by the mile to cover fuel and maintenance. This is a little iffy right now, as we are not sure we want to turn just anyone loose with one of these trucks out on the highway. They aren't a Ford pickup!

If possible, we may be able to lease one or more of the trucks to the state or federal government for use in fighting wildfires during the summer. This would help defray the cost of purchasing and maintaining them. In a worst case scenario we can cannibalize one to keep the others running for a number of years. At least that is our hope. And if we find we cannot use more than one, after 18 months of ownership, we can sell them - hopefully for a good profit. Time will tell, and if we find some interesting work for them, I'll try to post that information, hopefully with photos. People seem to enjoy seeing pictures of Alaska, regardless of the context.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks