• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

You think they'd have this figured out...

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems random and not at all consistent.

If you're selling ammo cans, model, size, count.
Tires: Size, date code thread pict

Yet, the best they can do is get the count of the cans. Maybe.

It's like the process is optimized to mislead as much as possible.

I contrast to the local guys who will tell you "This vehicle has a leaking head gasket, be warned." etc.

Ok, rant over.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I honestly don't think they purposely mislead people with the descriptions. I just don't think they care enough to make sure it's accurate.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like when they call a handtruck a "Wheel truck, mobile"!! Remember most who work there have never been in the military and their job description does not say they have to go out and measure and look up what something really is! Very frustrating sometimes!
Or even better, when you look up tents and they copy all the TM description with all the component serial numbers and then forget the title or at the end say! Item is not complete! Then why the &R^& did you list everything!!! And the folks in GL and GP are even worst!

Sometimes the surplus system is a joke! However, with all that said, sometimes that works in our favor!

And if anyone wishes to bash me for saying anything negative about Gov workers, keep this in mind, I own the T-shirt, I spent 41 years in Military logistics and 40 as a MILTECH Civilian!

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get frustrated seeing a business taking steps to try and make money by doing things I think are customer unfriendly, while at the same time not taking actions that would be customer friendly like giving better info. (I happen to frankly not get reserve prices, put an opening min if you have a min...)

Spent Saturday at a heavy equipment auction. Such a different experience. These guys aren't in the heavy equipment business, they're in the selling heavy equipment business and they know about what they're selling. The opening calls were usually within ~10% of what the item closed at. (Some stuff the auctioneer started at 70K, went down to 5K and then back up to 80K, cause that's how it works) And that held true for the $80K machines down to the $50 tools on the back lot.

GL is in the selling military surplus business and is running a primarily internet auction site. Yet they seem to not know what the buyer wants / needs to see to be informed. At least for the surplus I want to buy. :)

Some of this seems solvable with some simple guidelines to their teams, like if you're gonna unstack tires, move them around and take 20 pictures, get some of the date codes, not 5 pictures of the load ratings or the manufacture's name in big letters. (Yes, this is an ongoing pet peeve of mine.) I get it if the stack is shrink wrapped and they can't unstack them. But for the ones where they are moving them around and taking pictures anyways...

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL is in the selling military surplus business and is running a primarily internet auction site. Yet they seem to not know what the buyer wants / needs to see to be informed. At least for the surplus I want to buy.
I'm of the opinion that GL knows they aren't getting every dollar on every lot, but because there is so much material passing through, it's alright.

And for us hobbyists, this scenario is good news.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks