• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Zexel fuel plunger stuck?

Ray W

Has anyone ever seen the Zexel‘s internal fuel plunger get stuck?
My MEP-804a will not start.
I have been thru the checklist in the TM.

Knowns:
I am getting fuel to the Zexel. I am not getting fuel to the individual cylinder fuel lines on the top side of the Zexel. The MPU tests fine. When cranking from the S1, I only get a very light click from the Woodward.

Looking inside the Zexel with a video probe, I can tell the Woodward‘s plunger is only moving very slightly.
When testing, the Woodwards plunger is only moving enough to take the slop out of it’s connection to the fuel rail inside the Zexel.

I removed the Woodward and tested it. When removed, It moves its full travel length and appears function fine.

However; the plunger rail that the Woodward attaches to inside the Zexel will not move AT ALL. None. Nada.

This genset has sat for some time. Anyone think the plunger rail may have frozen up? Or maybe I’m missing something.

Thoughts?

robertsears1

Unscrew the top of the manual fuel pump and pump until it gets to the injectors. Mine got where it would lose the prime every so often for no apparent reason. I eventually bought a new primer pump from ebay. Make sure to screw the top back tight after primimg. You should see white puffs from the exhaust within a few seconds of cranking if it is getting fuel.

Robert

Ray W

Hi Robert and thanks for the reply.

I’ve pumped that thing endlessly.
Whatever that Woodward solenoid moves just isn’t moving to let the fuel pass...or at least that’s what I think is going on.
The Woodward works but the rod it pushes seems to be stuck.

robertsears1

If the thing you are talking about sticks out of the injector pump on the left towards the oil filter, I think it works to shut off the fuel when the switch is turned off but I believe it also gets input from the mpu somehow.

Robert

Guyfang

Staff member
Sometimes, the A6, Electronic Actuator control is improperly reinstalled, the linkage binds. The A6 has to be carefully inserted into the IP.

How long has the gen set been sitting in a corner, and not running? The IP may be "frozen" up with varnish. Sometimes soaking it in a fluid that dissolves varnish helps. The speed control arm in the IP should move freely. So try soaking it first. Do not try and force it to move.

Ray W

Genset has sat for about 7 yrs. I’m guessing the IP is frozen up. I’ve tinkered with it long enough so today I took it to a diesel mechanic He said the rod that the Woodward attaches to in the IP should be moving.
He‘s going to break it down.
Ill report back after I get the BILL!! I think this is going to be expensive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks