• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2014 Ga. Rally volunteers needed

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I will be putting up the 2014 Ga. Rally info thread very soon. Rally is Oct. 8-12, 2014.

I am asking for volunteers to either post here or pm me what they'd like to do and when they will be available. Please do not volunteer unless you know you are coming to the rally and are willing to make yourself available in the times you say you will.

I will list below the positions that are available and what the entail.

Volunteer positions run from Wednesday morning to Saturday evening. Any time within that period that you are available is helpful.

Rally Leader: Swiss did a crazy awesome job in 2013 and then he topped it off by getting a bill passed in the Ga. legislature in the shortest amount of time a bill has ever been passed in history, so I can not ask him to do it again. He needs to spend the time getting his back patted for his contributions for the last year.

The Rally leader needs to be someone with management, and preferably event management experience. The ideal candidate has experience dealing with multiple department heads and ensuring that the department heads are getting their tasks properly accomplished. You'll be the face of the rally and you will encounter many different kinds of personalities, from "easy going" to "challenging" and maybe a few "I want to kill that guy" types. You'll need to be prepared to deal with last minute changes, from both rally attendees and D-town personnel.

The best part of this position is the chance to meet pretty much every person at the rally. The worst part is that you'll spend 99% of your time at the rally in the HQ tent. This is a position that requires you to be available and easily found the whole time of the rally.

Executive Officer (Leader assistant): The rally leader needs a right hand man whom he can trust with errands, decision making and missions of varying scopes. "Hey Bob, can you go over there and ask so-and-so to move his truck, he's blocking the wrecker area"-that sort of thing. This person will spend a lot of time in the HQ area, but not as much as the leader, so there's a little more freedom.

Registration tent volunteers: Recovry4x4 has run the registration tent for years; pretty much him and Carnac are the only ones who have done this and they do a spectacular job. But now with hundreds of attendees, there's a lot for the tent to do:

When a new arrival shows up, the tent needs to:
  • Welcome them to the rally
  • Sticker their military vehicle(s) and trailer(s) and add them to the count sheet
  • Verbally give them a short checklist of what they need to do: Pay D-town for the appropriate stuff (offroading, spectating, lodging, etc.), where to park, when the various rally events (food, offroading, hardball convoy, etc.) will occur, etc.
  • Hand them a rally flyer with a map and schedule of events
  • Ensure they are paid up with D-town before proceeding

We need more people who can work the tent and help let some of the volunteers get some free time.

The registration tent volunteers will get a prime seat at the rally. They'll see every single vehicle that comes in and get to meet every person.

The best part of this position is the prime, front row seat; you'll have your finger on the pulse of the rally. The worst part is that it ca get really hectic when 5+ groups all show up at once and you're trying to brief them, get their vehicles logged and stickered and they're already out of their trucks and chatting with friends.

You will coordinate with Recovry4x4 for your shift times. We're going to try to do this in "blocks" so people can still have plenty of free time. So if you want to volunteer from 0800-1200 on Thursday, that's fine. But we need to know so we can plan.

MKT volunteers: SCSG-G4 and his crew are the hardest working people at the rally. SCSG needs folks to help prepare, cook and clean. This is a vital part of the rally.

You will coordinate with SCSG for your available times.

The best part of this position is the gratitude of the attendees, who would starve and die in the field without you. The worst part is that if you burn my french toast, you'll be put on KP duty................................................

Medic: For years, Tigger was or medic. He had military medical training and came prepared with knolwedge, training, exerience and gear. He had a rather well fitted out kit of medical gear and supplies, to the point that he assisted Durhamtown with their first aid needs last year.

Sadly, we recently lost him and although we'll never replace him, we will need someone to try and fill his boots.

If you have medical training and can supply a basic first aid kit, we need you to contact us (or me) so we can discuss your position. You'll need to be readily available throughout the duration of the rally and I can't guarantee D-town won't ask for your help.

Swap Meet Leader: We have had an excellent runner for the swap meet the last few years, and I haven't talked to him about this year yet. I don't wanna' burn anyone out, so if someone wants to take it, I'll talk to him soon (this week) and see where he stands.

Basically, I need someone who has a good personality for dealing with people and who plans on being an early arrival swap meet vendor. In return for you helping swap meet vendors get properly positioned, you'll get a primo space. All you need to do is make sure the swap meet is set up in nice, easily manageable aisles so everyone has enough room.

The best part of this position is that you'll get to see all the goodies before they're for sale. The worst part is you'll be broke for 6 months after the rally.

Trail ride leaders: I believe I have these positions filled, I will update the thread if this changes.

Hardball convoy photographers: I believe I have the leadership slots filled for the HC, but I need 2-4 photographers and videographers who possess the following:
  • An artistic eye towards image composition and a basic undertaqnding of the visual arts
  • A digital SLR and/or HD video camera that is capable of capturing good sound.

Before the convoy, there will be photo spots that have been pre-scouted and you'll be directed there so as to catch the most interesting shots.

Also looking for drone owners/operators who are equipped with high quality gear (think GoPro).

Ok folks. Let's get this thing planned out and done because we're literally less than 4 months away.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the positions expected to be there when the rally starts or when the yahoos start arriving 37.45 days earlier?

It makes a difference.

Thx

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will do the hardball rally again- easy peasy lemon squeezy.......

I will also man the registration table on Wednesday, along with Phil, if he will stand me.......

I will be there, from Friday the 3rd to Sunday late...... CAN"T WAIT

Last edited:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are the positions expected to be there when the rally starts or when the yahoos start arriving 37.45 days earlier?

It makes a difference.

Thx
Probably no earlier than Wednesday. The skeleton crew there before then can probably manage it.

Also, edited post #1 to reflect that.

When are the dates?
Oct. 8-12, 2014.

Also, post #1 edited to reflect that.

I will do the hardball rally again- easy peasy lemon squeezy.......

I will also man the registration table on Wednesday, along with Phil, if he will stand me.......

I will be there, from Friday the 10th to Sunday late...... CAN"T WAIT
Noted.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do we have or need a medic?

Tigger always handled this for us.:tigger: RIP

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do we have or need a medic?

Tigger always handled this for us.:tigger: RIP
Yes. A sign of how much I'd come to rely on Matt is the fact that I took his presence for granted. Post #1 edited to add this.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, I plan on being in place by first light on Wednesday Lord willing and the creek doesn't rise. I have also partnered with wreckerman893 to erect a Tigger memorial so even though I will be there Wed, I can really use help after setting up. From that point on we will put together a schedule. Early arrivals, we will make an announcement Wed when we are set up. Please come up as soon as possible so that we can stay ahead in what we are doing.

Thanks in advance for all who volunteer at Registration Central.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, I am 90% sure I will be there and will do whatever is needed.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have some great people lined up for volunteer spots, but we still need more.

If you want to be a part of the world's premier green iron party, we can use you!

Clinto, I am 90% sure I will be there and will do whatever is needed.
That's great, we're looking forward to seeing you again. The rally has grown a lot since you were last here.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Folks, I plan on being in place by first light on Wednesday Lord willing and the creek doesn't rise. I have also partnered with wreckerman893 to erect a Tigger memorial so even though I will be there Wed, I can really use help after setting up. From that point on we will put together a schedule. Early arrivals, we will make an announcement Wed when we are set up. Please come up as soon as possible so that we can stay ahead in what we are doing.

Thanks in advance for all who volunteer at Registration Central.
I will be there early as usual, I would be glad to help to set up the TIGGER MEMORIAL

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
plan on being there Tues noonish would be honored to help with memorial to Tigger and any thing else that doesn't get in the way of my dish washing!
IMG_20131013_132647_222.jpg can't wait to filler up again!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Anyone know if Lamar Rowland is coming? Need doog tags for the Tigger Memorial.
I am pretty sure his get-together falls on the same weekend this year, so I doubt he'll be with us.

Let me know or all of us what is still needed , I am in for whatever you need, that I can
When will you arrive? Any times you'll be unavailable? Gracias!

I plan on being there with the coffee tent and help with the mkt and anything that I can do to help.
AEC Wright Retired (Tony)
Much thanks. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks