• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke5eua

So I'm helping another member recover his 1070 from bliss to fl.

So far the trip has been great, averaging 45 and pissing off drivers because they can't read the reflective slow vehicle sign or see the flashing amber lights.

So about 9 miles out of lake Charles I hear a thud. I pull off to the side of the road thinking i might have blown an inner. Check the rears, and they were good. The culprit was the front drivers. Nice little chunk pulled off and showing the steal braid.

Let some air out and slowly made it to a truck stop. Didn't want to change a tire on the side of the road at 10 at night.

Decided to call it a night, let everything cool down and I'll change it in the morning.

Good thing I have two spares.

I already running the rears at 40 so I think I'm going to run the fronts about 50 ish.

Typing on this phone is one heck of a pita. I don't see how teenagers do it all the time.

Doug Roberts

texting like a teenie

So I'm helping another member recover his 1070 from bliss to fl.

So far the trip has been great, averaging 45 and pissing off drivers because they can't read the reflective slow vehicle sign or see the flashing amber lights.

So about 9 miles out of lake Charles I hear a thud. I pull off to the side of the road thinking i might have blown an inner. Check the rears, and they were good. The culprit was the front drivers. Nice little chunk pulled off and showing the steal braid.

Let some air out and slowly made it to a truck stop. Didn't want to change a tire on the side of the road at 10 at night.

Decided to call it a night, let everything cool down and I'll change it in the morning.

Good thing I have two spares.

I already running the rears at 40 so I think I'm going to run the fronts about 50 ish.

Typing on this phone is one heck of a pita. I don't see how teenagers do it all the time.
Upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy 5S ... iphone is yesterday's newspaper

ke5eua

Upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy 5S ... iphone is yesterday's newspaper
Ha ha, i have had my share of android and while I do like them, iOS is just easier for my business and family.

My last phone was the note 3. I loved it, but me and the wife upgraded to 5s.

I'm am apple developer so I have to have a device regardless. Figure I might as well use it if I have to have it.

Pictures.

Back of the truck, you can see the reflective slow vehicle sign. I guess people are too busy in their phones to look at the road.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403067348.031975.jpg

Now the tire. Tried to get best angle.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403067382.383718.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403067394.734533.jpg

Sprayed the lug nuts with wd40 and I'll change it in the morning after my continental breakfast.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silly question, why are you driving a M818 from La to Ft Bliss in order to recover a M1070 back to Fla? You should have left the M818 at home and flown to El Paso. The road surface is already too hot for older tires to hold up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front of the M818 is very heavy.

I run my M818 with 60-70 in the fronts and 30-40 in the rears.

I think you may add heat(from flex) with lower front pressures.

ke5eua

Silly question, why are you driving a M818 from La to Ft Bliss in order to recover a M1070 back to Fla? You should have left the M818 at home and flown to El Paso. The road surface is already too hot for older tires to hold up.
In case something goes wrong there is always a backup.

Plus I enjoy driving.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please accept my comments as sage advice and not peeing in your cheerios. If your HET breaks down, the best contingency plan would be a cell phone to call a hd wrecker to get a tow to a local diesel shop. It will not be safe to use the 818 to tow the 37,000 lb HET along I-10 at 15 mph.

ke5eua

Please accept my comments as sage advice and not peeing in your cheerios. If your HET breaks down, the best contingency plan would be a cell phone to call a hd wrecker to get a tow to a local diesel shop. It will not be safe to use the 818 to tow the 37,000 lb HET along I-10 at 15 mph.
True I wouldn't tow it the complete trip but I could tow it enough to get to a safer spot then the side of the road.

Also if I had flown I would t have any of my tools.

I appreciate the advice. Just remember, this isn't my first rodeo in these trucks, I have thousands of miles behind 931s and hetts plus I spent several years on a recovery team assigned to either an 88 or hemmt wrecker.

I believe there is a method to the madness, I just happen to be the madness.

I just got the tire changed, **** I forgot how heavy they can be.

I am going to stop at a truck stop that has tire service and see of they have 11x20s and of they do for a reasonable price I will just get 10 new ones.

Alright, shower time, I feel like I just got out the pool.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm old enough to just whip out the card and tell the truck service to fix it.

;-)

ke5eua

Alright guys, million dollar question before I get to a tire shop.

What is the largest commercial tire I can safely put on my stock wheels?

I would search but it is kinda hard to type and drive, well actually illegal for cdl holders.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
11.00R-20, if you want to keep the rear duals.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need to replace your tubes with radial tubes also.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And, you could just replace the fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks