• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce was dead on side of the road.

andy3

I have a dead Deuce motor. The short story is I was driving along and had good power, heard a thunk, engine shut off and I coasted to a stop. The good news is I was able to setup for a recovery safely and Swiss and 73m819 were able to swing back and snatch me off the median quickly and safely. Ron has been VERY gracious and helpful The truck is currently at his motor pool cutting down on the grass he has to cut. The Deuce looks like a child in a farm of 5tons. Teardown shows something bad happened. It appears I broke the end off the cam or something equally as gruesome. So I live northeast of Atlanta and looking for advice and leads on a motor. I spoke with gimpyrobb and he has a motor that is a possability, but I would be looking at delivery @ the rally.

This is not something I had budgeted for but, I do have a few man toys That I should really sell to make yard room and pay for this bump in the road.

I’m not sure if this should be in this forum or the parts wanted. Mods please move if needs to be.

To quote Ron:
Ya, I was so into the ip and once I saw that the HH was good and still not working that I did not think beyond that, In the ip under the HH there is a snap ring then a plate, then a coil spring, then the roller cam follower, this cam follower was stuck in the bore, had a heck of a time getting it to pop up and out, apon inspection of the follower I saw FRESH gouges and scratches, this is matched machine surface with the bore, the tm says there is NO replaceable parts other then the HH. It bothered me on where the metal came from to cause the follower damage, though I was still thinking ip, this morning I remember that on Sat. Andy said "I heard a THUNK and the truck shut down" being a bad ip does not go thunk, the question was what would all the while still screwing with the ip, then the light came on after taking stock of a few other signs that the cam had died, either sheered the key or broke right behind the drive gear, pulled the valve covers, turned the engine over, NON of the rocker arms moved, proved my broken cam idea. The tore up ip is collateral damage from the cam dying, hence the fresh scored up cam follower. I hated to make that call to Andy, I would have liked to call and say "your truck is on the front lawn, ready to go home any time you want to come and get it".

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call George at White Owl and get pricing on the CAM and Crank gears to start. That will give you a starting point to determine replacement parts versus replacement motor. Get motor pricing. Start looking at cost comparisons.

Ron and I discussed quite a bit last night and if the key slipped on the cam it would have had to get ground up in the gears, drop down to the pan and back up oil filter. I do not know the oil line paths but if the lower end of the IP pump was first in line that would make sense what damaged the cam follower.

Maybe somebody can clarify the oil path to validate what we are seeing so far.

DeucesWild11

Sorry to hear that terrible news, at least your safe and no one got hurt. Curious to what you find out and what you think caused the problem.
Best of luck with fixing her back up.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I have two engines out back that have been stored in a trailer for a few years. They have been stripped of various external parts but they were good running engines when I parted out the deuces from around them. Internals should be good. PM for details.

oddshot

I have a dead Deuce motor.
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I didn't realize that we lived so close ... I'm just north of you in Pickens County and close enough that I could volunteer a couple days work if it would help. I'm not a truck mechanic, but I AM a good automotive mechanic and have done all the work on my own bobbed deuce.

Also, my truck might just be a bobber ... but he's good and strong. If you need something hauled, I'm pretty sure he could handle it.

Shoot me a PM if you think I could help.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought about this a bit more and talked to a few people, the oil would have hit the main bearings from front to back. These would have gotten damage first in the chain. The best way to evaluate would be to pull the pan and then look at main #6 and determine what things look like. If six is bad then #1 will be worse.

Comment I got from one was "If metal did get up in the IP from the failure, the bottom end is toast"

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, I have no idea what Andy's budget is or how much of this he wants to do himself or if he wants to farm it out to somebody else, but if it were me:

I'd pull the pan and inspect the bearings. See what the bottom end looks like. See if there are parts floating around. If the bearings look ok, then all you're out is an oil pan gasket, which was probably already leaking anyway.

If the bottom end is good, I'd pull the front cover and see if the cam broke. At that point, you can decide if you want to chance throwing a cam in it and seeing what happens or just buy another one.

I think the tricky thing with multifuels is that new/NOS ones are waaay overpriced (for what you're getting) but on the other hand, I loathe "take-out" anything-transmissions, engines, axles, etc. If it were something simple like an alternator it would be one thing but a major component swap is a lot of work only to find out it's bad or it only makes a few thousand miles.

I have a parts engine and I have a takeout engine. The takeout engine came out of clintogf's 1985 M35A2C parts truck: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?87435-That-was-a-lot-of-work

I've never run the engine, so I have no idea if it's any good. Therefore it would be cheap-but sold as-is. Has a whistler, too.

Check with James Shirley in Griffin. At one time he had a wad of multifuel engines in cans. 770-358-9555
He still has 'em, although most are now uncanned.

For what he wants for used, unknown condition/mileage, unwarrantied engines, Andy could buy a spare truck and just towbar the backup everywhere behind the primary.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had planed on pulling at least the front, just to see what broke, but that will have to wait till OPERATION CLEAN UP comes to a end, that starts tomorrow, sorta waiting on Andy to see what is what, I told him that if he wants me to do the fix that's cool, if he wants us to take to someone else, that's cool, just cover the fuel, I also told him if money is tight where the fix can not happen right a way, the deuce can stay here if needed, it does not need to be fed and will not be in the way after OP CU.

I personally would not try to rebuild the engine, even if the mains look good because there is NO way to get ALL the metal out of the oil gallies unless you pull the engine, strip it down to the bare block then acid dip the block, then reassemble, cleaning EVERY part as you go, swab out the crank oil ports, ect, ect, this will turn into a VERY expensive process, if you had to have this ENGINE because no other replacement can be had, then do the dip, this is NOT the case with this issue.
It is just NOT worth the RISK to spend the money to fix this engine, knowing that anytime a piece of metal could come loose, take out a main, rod bearing, ect., if this ip is to be reused, I would back flush, back flush, back flush the bottom end oiling system. I do believe that the ip will work just fine, the scratches and gouges of the cam follow will not affect the operation of the pump or the HH, being that this NOT a working truck and not getting 80 hours a week, I do not see a major worry, with the proper cleaning, It would make a good spare or even the main ip.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Tow bar that truck to rally and let's do a rally engine swap.
That is VERY doable, if we can do a wrecker kit build, there is NO reason we can not do a engine swap, there should be enough tools to stock a warehouse, a enough people who know what to do, a lot of lookie-loos to tell the experts what they are doing wrong, a mobile engine hoist, ect.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Operation cleanup!!! You need to start a thread on that:). Could be a big project!!!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't think it would take long with a few guys who know what they are doing I could be wrong.
Andy is one heck of a guy.I believe he gives a lot to help kids.
I say we help him.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I'll start the ball rolling I hereby pledge the oil for the engine.
Just some one let know what kind and how much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks