• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA to OK in BFR's/Papabear's/Patracy's Deuce.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I caught the Deuce Bug and have been looking for one. I came across BFR's/Papabear's/Patracy's Deuce in the classifieds, asked some questions about it, read all the build threads I could find on it, and decided to buy it! :grin: So, now I have to get it back here to Oklahoma. So far the cheapest Uship bid is still six times what it would cost me to drive there and drive the deuce back. So I plan to drive it ~750 miles back, which will be quite an adventure!

A friend of mine is in the Marines and will be on leave in a week. He's looking for something to do when he gets back, so I said 'Hey, come to GA with me and help me get something back'. He's all for it!

The plan so far is to load the truck up with everything we think we could possibly need (tools, spare parts, diesel, oil, water, etc.) and head over there.

Day 1: Drive over and try to get to Patracy's place early enough to visit and look the truck over, then spend the night somewhere.
Day 2: Get the truck ready for the trip. Check fluids, tires, etc. Make sure everything is ready to go. Start heading back, stopping occasionally to check the truck over. Around dark, stop somewhere for the night.
Day 3: Repeat of day 2, hopefully making it home about mid-day.

I'm figuring just driving time about 12 hours there and about 16 hours back, not counting food/fuel/maintenance stops.

I've ordered a gladhand adapter to air up tires and a small 24v to 12v converter to power a GPS, cellphone, etc.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice y'all can offer. Things I need to do? Stuff I need to bring?

My biggest worry is having a major mechanical issue that leaves us stranded along the highway somewhere. I don't like to ask for help, but is there anyone between GA and OK that would be willing to be a pit-stop if we needed it, or has the capability to tow a deuce if we have a major problem? I'll compensate anyone for their time.

Any suggestions on what route to take there and back? Mapquest says take 40 to Memphis, 78 to Birmingham, and 20 to Patracy's. I've never driven this before, so I'm open to ideas.

I'm thinking of doing this on the 20th-22nd.

Thanks y'all!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the purchase. Kinda neat to see where the truck goes as part of me goes with it. The bed was once mine! Anyways, check the deuce forum for the stickies for doing a recovery. Lots to learn there for sure. There is even a list of essential tools you will need. Most of all, have plenty of data on your phone plan and study study study. BTW, what are you driving out to GA?

dmetalmiki

Good luck on your (very long(and courageous)) drive. Sounds like a good truck to do it with. Enjoy the experience and post pictures of course. Keep at or below 2000 R.P.M. and you should cruise uneventfully home.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would run I-40 to Memphis, Memphis to Birmingham and I-20 to Ga.

Maybe some folks on this route will PM you their contact info so you will have backup along the route.
If you can borrow a tow bar to take with you that could be a lifesaver and save you a big tow bill if you broke down.
Warthog is in OKC and may have one you could borrow.
I flat towed a deuce with a deuce from Little Rock back this way following almost the same route. Since you won't have that drag you should be able to make pretty good time if the heat doesn't suck the life out of you.
What ever you do don't stop within 50 miles of Memphis going or coming. Memphis is the Detroit of the south.
If you leave early you should be well past there before dark if you have no trouble.
Good luck and take plenty of pics. Keep up posted about your progress.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can borrow a tow bar to take with you that could be a lifesaver and save you a big tow bill if you broke down.
Warthog is in OKC and may have one you could borrow.
Great idea. I have about a dozen towbars to choose from. I won't send him with the Heavy. ;-)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
350 miles a day in a deuce is plenty of driving! Bring lots of water, you will be thirsty! Going over the bridge in Memphis is a bear anywhere near rush hour, morning or evening, plan accordingly. The road between Memphis and Birmingham is slated to become part of the interstate system when finished (I-21 if I remember correctly), it's a good road. Personal opinion, Mapquest gives me better directions than Yahoo Maps (No, I don't have a GPS, just maps).

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck and ENJOY!! Most NEVER attempt an adventure like this. It is an adventure. Things can and sometimes do go wrong. Credit cards are simple insurance and peace of mind. (those with high limits that is) Whatever comes along, remember that helps isn't far away here on S.S. I remember my first recovery, 400+.....was so "into it" that I actually missed it, if that makes sense. LOTS of pics and keep us informed! =)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Memphis Equipment is very close to where you turn to cross the bridge into West Memphis, AR. West Memphis is just as big a craphole as Memphis proper, just further west (if you have ever camped out in one of the truckstops there you know what I mean).

I would mapquest them and have their number in your phone. The do have just about anything you need for a deuce but they are proud of it.

OkieM1008morrison

just about a year ago, I made a trip from south Dallas to Tulsa.... man what a trip. I learned all about the fuel system and how to change filters. along with a busted lower radiator hose halfway home... at 3 in the morning. don't push the truck to hard, its going to be a long haul. my opinion find a place to stay at night, when your rested you make better decisions. bring all your tools and then some, find parts stores along your route before your trip, LOTS OF COLD WATER...you will cook inside that metal box. the best earmuffs are the ones from lowes or home depot that have the built in radio they are a lifesaver! heavy duty bottle jack, and a cheater pipe just in case you haft to mess with a tire. this trip will be memorable, I know I will never forget mine...

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the purchase. Kinda neat to see where the truck goes as part of me goes with it. The bed was once mine! Anyways, check the deuce forum for the stickies for doing a recovery. Lots to learn there for sure. There is even a list of essential tools you will need. Most of all, have plenty of data on your phone plan and study study study. BTW, what are you driving out to GA?
You caught that to. ;-)

If you have some room, there are items in OKC that need a ride to GA.

Maybe send a trailer load with him? :mrgreen:
We might be able to figure something out. Send me a PM.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea. I have about a dozen towbars to choose from. I won't send him with the Heavy. ;-)

A towbar is a great idea, I might just try to buy one from you if you have an extra.
Crossing my fingers I won't need to use it this trip, but it would be good to have one if I find another deuce to bring home or to help someone else.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone! All the info helps! For those that know the route, would it be better to avoid the Memphis area completely? Maybe swing South on lesser highways?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We've driven that truck nearly half that distance with zero issues. (To the GA Rally and back). I think she will make it but I wouldn't push her too hard as said above.

I won't be able to be on standby to help you as we will be at the Guntruck Gathering that week.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the trip home close all the windows in the Deuce and then crack the passenger side windshield window about 4 inches.

Trust me, along with everyone else who has done it. Recovry4x4 mentioned it to me along with gimpy and others and it works. I ran my 813 in June in the heat and the 250 will cook you in the cab up through the shifter hole without it. Putting the door windows down or opening the vents does not help (at all).

Enjoy the trip. My first Deuce recovery was 350 miles all in one day. I still smile about it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes I drove the truck to the rally and back twice with out a issue. I would install new fuel filters, other then that can not think of anything else.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks