• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GA to OK in BFR's/Papabear's/Patracy's Deuce.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a great way to get to know your new truck. I have owned about 10 deuces and every one tbat could have been driven, was driven home. Those that couldn't, rode the towbar. Congrats on a flawless recovery.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt just left out from here. He's going to lodge in Bremen tonight at a hotel and head out in the AM. Kenny your wheels are here safe and sound. Plans to arrive home tomorrow evening at this point. I believe he has oil (gear and engine), grease, coolant, water, brake fluid, extra wheel/tire (besides the spare), wheel bearing set, belts, bulbs, hoses, wire, and a wide assortment of tools. And a towbar. I also stuffed a few extra spare parts I had laying around in it as well.
Thank you for everything you did, for the extra parts, and for helping make this a fun experience! :)

Good news. The one thing I forgot to add to his list was an assortment of compression fittings. During one of our epic, 2 auction deuce recoveries, Devilman96 and myself suffered a catastrophic nylon fuel line failure. It was O-dark thirty somewhere between towns. 30 minutes later with diesel soaked hands, we were bumping off the governor. So glad Mike packed an assortment of compression fittings.
I brought an assortment of fuel line and clamps for such an issue. When I get time I'll post a list of everything I brought. Maybe the next person could use it.

Having BBQ in Memphis. No issues
Not sure where the BBQ rumor came from. We stopped for a minute just in to Memphis to get gas for the chase truck, check the deuce over, and have a quick snack before braving the traffic.

Nice recovery , a job well done
What a great way to get to know your new truck. I have owned about 10 deuces and every one tbat could have been driven, was driven home. Those that couldn't, rode the towbar. Congrats on a flawless recovery.
:)

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rest of the story...

After we left Patracy's we got something to eat, got food and ice for the morning, and checked the deuce over. I replaced the driver side wiper blade (good thing I did), installed a dashcam and GPS, made sure the crane was secure, put a couple big fire extinguishers and an ice chest in the cab, checked the fuel and oil level, etc. The oil was a little over full and I was worried that diesel was leaking in. It didn't smell like diesel so I decided to keep an eye on it on the way back. Checked it several times and it stayed the same level.

We headed out about 06:00, stopped a few miles away to get gas for the chase truck and check the deuce over. We stopped about every 20-30 minutes for the first couple hours just to check for anything leaking, hub temp, etc. We filled up about 30 miles past Birmingham, and between Memphis and Little Rock.

The only issues we had were minor. I had to tighten the mirrors because the wind kept moving them. The engine temp started creeping up (195-200) so I topped off the radiator. It took a gallon and that helped. I opened the passenger side windshield about 4'' and cracked the driver side window about an inch and it was comfortable inside while moving. Stopped in traffic, not so much. The fuel gauge was intermittent, and when it did work it was wrong.

Ran it at 2200 RPM which put speed at 53 MPH. Temp ended up running about 190-195. Oil pressure was 55-60 at speed, 30 at idle. Kept EGT 1000-1100 up hills. On the way back it seemed to gain a little power, smoke a little less, and the EGT dropped about 100*. Haven't filled it up here yet to figure MPG.

When I have some more time I'll post pics and try to post clips from the deuce and chase truck dashcams.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did you get the deuce tractor fuel tank that went the truck, Joel had gotten a nos tank to replace the existing tank so the right outrigger would go in all the way, but did not get the chance to do the install before he sold the truck to PB, the tank was with the truck when we took the truck to PBs, the tank may be still at PBs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The short wheel base tank is longer and somewhat skinnier. Google images for M275A2 and you can see one for yourself. Its on the left side of the truck. Not sure if it would be that easy as the neck would need relocated as well. Might be easier to find a new old stock tank and weld a dimple in it to clear the outrigger.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I honestly don't know WHERE the tank is, it may still be somewhere here at the hooch...or who knows where. There were several other goodies in a box BFR brought with the truck...I don't know where they went either. I suspect they underwent a "transfer of accountability" without my knowledge as have several other things over the years.:shrugs:

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's fine. If you come across any of it, just let me know and we can work something out.

Finally had some time and figured up the MPG. Near as I can tell it got about 9.5.

I haven't forgot about posting the list of stuff I brought, just haven't had time to sit and type it out.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally have some time to type out the list of items I brought with me on the trip. In no particular order...

Paper towels.
80-90w gear oil.
Squeeze bottle with hose for gear oil to fill trans, diffs, etc.
Bottle jack.
Duct tape.
Electrical tape.
Toolbox with good assortment of tools.
Budd lug socket, extension, breaker bar.
Assorted small jumper leads.
Multi-meter.
Chains, boomers.
Snatch strap.
Ratchet straps.
Rope.
Pintle hitch for 2" receiver.
Deuce towbar.
DOT3 and 5 brake fluid.
Brake line caps to seal off leaking wheel cylinder.
Tubing wrenches for brake and fuel lines.
2 5-gal containers of water.
2 5-gal containers of diesel.
Gladhand with air hose.
Tire chuck, blow gun, tire gauge.
Gladhand seals.
NOS deuce water pump.
#2 Permitex.
Spare belts for deuce and chase truck.
Spare radiator hoses for deuce and chase truck.
24v to 12v converter to power GPS, etc.
Baling wire.
Small 12v to 120v ac inverter.
Grease gun and extra tubes of grease.
Assorted fuses.
Electrical wire.
Assorted fuel hose.
Assorted hose clamps.
Engine oil.
Anti-freeze.
GPS.
Dash-cams for deuce and chase truck.
Laptop with all the deuce TM's I could find.
12v clip-on fan.
Appropriate maps.
Two-way radios with hands-free mic and earpiece.
Fire extinguishers.
Stocked ice chests.
First-aid kit.

I think that's about it, there's another list I can't find. We also brought some stuff that I didn't add to the list. For instance, we thought we might camp out for a couple nights, so we also brought camping gear. That could have it's own list.

Feel free to add to this, maybe it'll help someone else with their recovery adventure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks