• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M52a2 aia to air intercooler

panzerwillie

Finaly got done with my intercooler set up , was not able to take pictures at the airtemp gauge while driving but the data and power increase are good for example while driving in CITY turbo outlet temp its around 160 degrees and inlet temp to the engine is around 90 degrees so about a 70 degrees on the HWY runing 55 MPH or full trottle outlet is 220 degrees and inlet 107 degrees so a good temperature drop, it never quits pulling and even in defuel still pulls hard, good powern increased , there was about a pound of boost lost do to more area to compress but even so you feel the extra power do to the dense air, will look in to turning up the fuel on the pump and play with tate the waste gate will see because it feels good as it is, here are some pictures..:driver:
GEDC0322.jpg

GEDC0345.jpg

GEDC0358.jpg

GEDC0354.jpg

GEDC0329.jpg

GEDC0357.jpg

GEDC0361.jpg

GEDC0362.jpg

GEDC0363.jpg

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work! I've always wanted to see somebody do this to a multifuel. What's your EGT running?

panzerwillie

It about 150-200 degrees cooler but was keeping my eye ont the air temp gauge cruising 600 * and about 850* on the floor i think if i remenber corectly
thanks

stampy

Wow! nice!!!!!! Now all you need to do is make a kit with instructions for the rest of us. LOL. I am real interested in your build. Please keep the info coming....are you going to propane injection? I would be interested in the power increase before you turn the fuel up with a propane injection

panzerwillie

I have use propane injection as well methanol injection on diesel truck before and they do increase the HP from 50-100hp depending on nozzle sizes however we mainly use it for racing application even do a lot of people also use it to increase milage, do not think i will be doing that with this truck, as far as the water temps, this trucks run very cold in my opinion to cold and after driving for 2 hours yesterday the temperature did not change at old :-D

jwaller

I have used water inj on the multi bc meth and alky did not work at all. very good results with water. I have pages of info on here about it.

I love the IC. Very good job covering it up and modding the grill. done the right way imo.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very slick. Love the mod on the grille guard.

kochevnik

So for those of us who never looked into this technology - what are the main advantages ? And if it means an increase in HP (or torque) how would you measure such a thing other than subjectively - i.e. how much Bang For The Buck are you getting here ?

panzerwillie

Good point, i'm in the tunning bussiness where i tune cars that make from 200HP to over 3000HP and i always tell people you can tell 20 HP by the sit of your pans, a dyno woud be nice , but even do there is one near by that caterpillar use to dyno there trucks , dont think i will do it, however i no only drove my truck 1500 miles but drive it very often to tell you i notice a good power increase even on defuling , it feels like the power is there all time , i did the same to a 300D mercedes with 300,000 miles i drive everyday and boy its very fast for what it is and if anybody ever drove a 83 300D they are slow i also made my 4SPD but that was before the intercooler the only difrents is air to water , the cost of this whats about $65 for use intercooler {isuzu truck} aluminum 45 and 90* pipes $ 120 few hump hoses and clamps $ $70 and i made the 90* aluminum flange and elbow $75 {had to have 5 waterjet cut} but the factory one can be bolted facing up will work as good, about $ 60 in flat stock and about 15 hrs of work on and of for 3 days i did change the tanks on the intercooler but i think it woud have work if i have use a M818 grill , to me it whats worth it because i did everything but if you have to pay some one to do it the money VSS the gain i think so, then again i live in florida its always hot here year around so it helps here more compare to cold enviromet, and i'm sure when loaded it will help even more :-D

cruzinz28

panzerwillie - I assume that your truck has the LDS motor and you said it runs too cold in your opinion. What temperatures are you holding in the truck? My LDS motor takes forever to get to 120 degrees and barely hold 160-170 on a hot summer day.

panzerwillie

Yes i have LdS and it will not run over 160 degres, however being a HIGH compression engine i begining to think ist like a moder diesel that has 16-18 -1 compression where the warmer the more efficient the burn is and also for emissions..

panzerwillie

Still planning to play with a air or electric clutch for the fan if i have time got a big list of things to do and add, also for the M818 question , i almost got a M818 and whats planning to turbo and intercool the engine or use the aftercooler from the 315-400HP 855 engine and does parts are every where or the 290HP 855 series engines turbo manifold and make a air to water its pertty symple i think, cost depends how munch youe able to do and find good parts source
thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks