• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major Meltdown!! :(

Maxwell1815

I have finally stopped crying over my deuce, and decided to post what has happened to it. About 2 months ago, I was warming her up to go out for an evening drive, she was running a high idle, 1000rpm or so. I was letting the dogs out to do their business, deuce roaring in the background, and all of a sudden I heard a noise that sounded like a plow truck hitting the side of a house. I sprinted back to the deuce and came to find smoke billowing out from under the hood like crazy. She was running on about three cylinders, and i came to find 22 quarts of oil underneath her. I shut her down, and, still in shock, picked up a chunk of metal that happens to be a 5 inch piece of the camshaft! There is about a 7 inch hole in the right side of my engine block, with a push rod also that i found 6 feet away from her. I will post pics soon. I sure wasn't expecting this! She always ran with good oil pressure. Luckily, When I recovered her back in November, I was lucky enough to get it with another engine that was said to have run for 30 min until the head gasket externally leak coolant. So I will be tearing down the spare engine and will keep yeall updated with my progress. Any help, tips, information, tricks, or anything you think I should know about, or that will help me through this project will be greatly appreciated. Any special tools needed? :grd:

scoutmanadam

even though your other engine only ran for 30 minutes and had an external leak i would still take the head to a machine shop and have it checked for flatness, just as a precaution. besides that, the engines arnt that complicated to rebuild, just take your time and double check. good luck, hope everything works out for you

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Wow that sucks. If you're doing a head gasket, you will need that special jug handled box end wrench and a large torque wrench to go with it.

I think I'm a little far to come help but if you need it, I will see if I can find you that special box end jug handle wrench. Not sure if you need it since the engine is out of the truck.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maxwell sorry to hear about the failure and good for you to have collected a spare motor!

Last time I saw a cam break and get spit out, it was from a rod that broke at the piston end and then came around and karate chopped the cam. I wonder if yours went the same. Not that it makes a difference, you are still going to learn thing or two about motor swaps in a deuce!!!

Rick

dozer1

Yeah that sure isnt what you would expect to happen esp if it was a great runner up to that point. How far are you going to tear down your replacement motor? This has probably been covered in other threads before, but maybe it would be a good idea to replace the rod bolts with new ones. I am beginning to think these multi's have been apart a few times and used rod bolts might be one cause of some of the bottom end failures we read about. keep us updated on the progress.

Maxwell1815

I plan on tearing the whole engine apart and going through the whole thing. I will get some pics up today. Will definetely have the machine shop look over the head(S). This is a blessing in disguise. I forgot to mention that I had planned on taking the deuce to pittsburgh 2 weeks after this happened. I am glad It didn't happen halfway cross Ohio!

Katahdin

Nuts, I hate reading stories like this...I don't think there's many spare engines in my neck of the woods. I'm sorry for your loss and wish you luck on your engine swap endeavor.

I've wondered if its possible to do an outdoors engine swap by positioning a 2-ton floor engine hoist on a trailer for elevation, backing up to the front bumper, and picking up the block from there.

Any details on the engine you can share? Make/Model/Mileage/TD or no TD block stamp/rebuild tag date and place, etc? Just curious.

RAYZER

Engine failures always bad,good thing you weren't standing in the path of that flying chunk of motor metal,it could have ruined your day to greater extent!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BUMMER, Dude !

It's good that you have a spare engine in inventory.

Our Deuce also came with a spare engine (Still in the can from a rebuild by the Army in 1989). I've had offers to buy it, but it's NOT for sale - Just in case we NEED it someday.

Good luck on the project - Keep us posted.