• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major Meltdown!! :(

DieselBob

I can just feel all the positive vibs. oh well, at least I didn't purchase the deuce or pay extra because of the rebuild tag. It's all good till something comes loose. :grin:

Flyingvan911

The Continental tag on my LDS says 1988, or is it 86. It has 42,000 miles. I'll have to look tomorrow to see if it says rebuilt or original mfr. I wonder if there is a link as No 2 Diesel suggest? Atleast a deuce engine isn't as expensive as a normal car engine. Only downside is a higher tow bill if you can't find a MV helper.

JDToumanian

I definitely agree about the quality of government rebuilds.... but in this case we now know the cause of failure - hydro lock damage.

A few years ago I paid extra for a transfer case that was in a crate with a Tooele rebuild tag and nice clean paint on it.... It didn't work right at all and pulverized it's innards on the first test drive.

My multifuel is not a rebuild, it was new in 1987... But it's seen a lot of abuse and it's a White. It runs great and I take good care of it, so we'll see...

Jon

DieselBob

I'm thinking I need to look around for a good running transplant that hasn't been overhauled. Would be interesting to pull out the rebuild and tear it down to verify the specs of the bearings, bolt stretch, crank thrust and crank run out.

Maxwell1815

Hi,

It'll be a great learning experience in the long run. Before you go and rent a cheesy Bobcat skidsteer please remember that a Multifuel weighs approx. 1,750lbs. without the tranny. Just make sure you research the lift and tipping loads of the machine your going to rent...

I noticed in your pics that there is an "engine rebuild" tag affixed to your block. That got my attention... Observation: Someone please correct me but I have observed over these past years on this forum that every catastrophic engine failure that has been shown was from an engine that had a "low mileage government rebuild" and this is yet another example.

I talked to a guy from Lima bobcat, and he said they are capable of lifting around 2500 lbs. so I am good there. And after reading this and other posts, I am glad I am ripping her down before I install her. That would suck to spend a weekend swapping motors and a week later the same thing happen:confused: I will keep you all posted on my progress, and, as always, I appreciate the advice, and help. Oh, and the fuel cutoff would not stay in the off position since the cable broke. When I pull on the lever at the pump to shut it off, it goes automatically back in. The lock is in the handle itself. (Correct me if I am wrong)

dozer1

When I pull on the lever at the pump to shut it off, it goes automatically back in. The lock is in the handle itself. (Correct me if I am wrong)[/QUOTE]
That sounds likely and it sure does increase the likleyhood of it being diesel in the cyl. causing the hydraulicing condition.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It would be my guess that in the REBUILD, the rod bolts were REUSED, with a little over torquing, stretch from use, retouching, all this combined to bring on rod bolt FAIlURE, also I would guess that the ORGINAL build rod bolts should last as long as the ORGINAL motor.

emr

I will say even for my self, its hard to admit, but 99.9 % of the time it is human error, sad but true, wish u luck things happen to us all....

Maxwell1815

Time for the transplant Finally!

I finally got time, and motivation to start pulling the engine out of the deuce...4 months later, and a 95 degree day. Thanks you so very much to my brother and father for their help! I wouldn't have been able to have that thing out so quickly if they would not have been there!
Oh, and I found another hole in the block! Not only did the rod come out on the passenger side, but also behind the injection pump too! And my brother found a piece of mangled connecting rod on the ground too!

Attachments

steelandcanvas

Good to see you're 1/2 way there. Don't lose momentum now, you still have plenty of good weather left to get Her back together and play with Her for awhile. I also had a hydrostatic lock a few years ago, wasn't pretty but I didn't ventilate the block. We just re-sleeved it, new piston, new head, and I was good to go. Last year it started to knock, so I gave up and bought another Deuce.

Katahdin

Great pics, thanks for posting! I had been wondering what this job would look like with a shop crane like the one you used. Thats probably the route I'd have to go if I found myself in the same predicament. Good luck with the reinstall!

Truckoholic

That blows! That's very similar to what happened to my 8V92 Detroit in my old 67 Kenworth. Completely destroyed the block! Sadly I was hauling a massive John Deere Excavator out of the San Francisco Bay area on the freeway at the time that mine went. Not fun at all!

Good luck with everything! I know it's a lot of work and it can suck, but it sure is nice to be able to become familiar with parts of your truck that you were not familiar with before, so next time something goes wrong, you know better what you are dealing with.

Knowledge is the highest power one can achieve!

Maxwell1815

I plan on tearing the other engine down all of the way, it has not been run in probably 10 years, and the tag on it says the head gasket leaked after it being run for 30 minutes. The previous owner told me it was brand new, just had a bad head gasket...I want to go through it before I spend another 8+ hours installing it and come to find it has a knock, or something.

I only can find the tech maintenace manuals...I need to figure out the proper procedure to time this thing... should I just mark where the timing gear is or is there a proper procedure to re-time this engine?

chupa

This might ease your shock.... my 1997 Corvette did the same thing while driving 60mph........POW!!!!!!! Smoke and oil and steam everywhere. Push rod busted a hole in the aluminum block. Only cost $7,600 since I didn't purchase an extended warranty. I used to have the fastest car on my route to work, now I have the slowest, my 1985 CUCV M1028.

Maxwell1815

Yeah, those corvettes ain't cheap! I just sold a set of tires to a customer yesterday....$2000 in Goodyear rubber...yikes! But that does ease the pain a bit...thanks! haha, sorry about your loss.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks