• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major Meltdown!! :(

Maxwell1815

Now that we have the name down, I think I am going to rent a bobcat to get the old engine out of Major Meltdown. Its only $150 bucks for a weekend, so I think that will be the way to go, when I get to that point. The spare engine is a White, and I plan on doing the tear down once i get my 4runner axle done, so I have room in the garage. Since the old site it down again, where can I find the engine torque specs? Thanks hdexpert for the offer, I will let you know if i need the block. After Meltdown gets back up I may end up trying to salvage some of the old to make another good engine. Oh and sorry for the bad quality pics, the hole in the block is kinda hard to see. And i lied about the size of the cam, its only about 3 inches long. The engine part # is 12354301 and the serial # is 3962587....? I think. I cant see it very well in the pic. Oh, and is there a way to prime the oiling system before the break in start up or should I just use a good thick assembly lube?

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is why you should not leave an engine running while unattended.

I would guess that you set the throttle up some while it was cold, and as it warmed up it revved up higher.

Since you were not in the cab when it blew, you'll never now how high it was revving. I would guess it had increased RPM significantly, causing this failure.

If you want a name, Major Mistake, might be a better choice.

Last edited:

Maxwell1815

Why would running the engine as 1100rpm be bad for it? It had warmed up for about 10 min before this occurred. The rpm never increased before when I left it to warm up. At least nothing more than a couple hundred. And thanks for those links for the TMs

Last edited:

Schvin

I'm pretty sure we've let it warm up at a slightly higher idle plenty of times before. And we would have heard it revving up higher(which we heard no increase in volume/idle speed) since it gets louder as it revs higher, and it's certainly NOT a quiet engine...but thanks for the name suggestion anyway

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did the rod come loose? Every one I've seen so far looked as if the rod bolts let go. I've been planning on seeing if I can find some different rod bolts, pull the pan, and replace the bolts. Thrown rods happens way too often on these engines.

How does an engine that is running smoothly run up it's rpm's by itself without any throttle increase? Just from getting warmer? I understand if it's running slower before all the cylinders are firing but if the throttle is set why would it increase by itself?
Not saying it dosent just wondering why it would.
Never had it happen to me.

armytruck63

Many engines speed up a bit while they are warming (both gas and Diesel). The oil gets less viscous, valve clearances change slightly, transmission warms up, etc...

Also, don't forget that a Diesel engine can run and run away on its own engine oil if it starts to get into the cylinders in a large enough quantity (broken piston rings etc.).

Many engines speed up a bit while they are warming (both gas and Diesel). The oil gets less viscous, valve clearances change slightly, transmission warms up, etc...

Also, don't forget that a Diesel engine can run and run away on its own engine oil if it starts to get into the cylinders in a large enough quantity (broken piston rings etc.).
That makes alot of sense, Thanks I'll keep an eye out for that. :beer:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
, deuce roaring in the background, and all of a sudden I heard a noise

1100 rpm is not roaring, so to me it sounds like it sped up. Why would it speed up? several reasons/ways for this to happen. That is why I say leaving it running unattended is a bad idea.

In this case, we'll never know, he wasn't there to know.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry about your A2 and good luck with the 2nd engine My A2 definitely will gain several hundred RPM as it warms up, but not to a critical point. However, I saw a Deuce multi let go when I was in the Army. We were standing near the truck when the engine, which had been idling suddenly gained a large amount of RPM. It really started roaring and let go within about 30 seconds. We all ran, because we knew what was about to happen and were afraid to get near it to shut it down. Luckily it was not my truck.

Maxwell1815

when i said roaring, i meant i could hear it running. and 1100rpm is roaring. I can hear that thing idle from where i was, so 1100 rpm is roaring from where i was at. not that it matters anyways. It didn't get louder before it blew. Sounded the same the whole time she was warmin up. im not saying it didn't happen that way, I am just saying that i didn't notice any engine speed differences, and the plow truck hitting the side of the house happened immediately.

Flyingvan911

My deuce will increase it's rpm's slightly as it warms up. Usually by 100 rpm at the most. I think it is because the cylinders warm up and combustion is better and maybe the oil warming up lets the turbo spin a little more.

tm america

You might have had a blown head gasket and hydro locked the motor when trying to start it and not even noticed..The starter on a deuce will power through a hydro lock and bend the rods..Then failure is soon to follow.. thats why you are suppose to crank the motor for a few seconds with the engine kill cable pulled before actually starting . There is a tm or technical article on this exact problem