• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Click click BOOM!

rwbrown72

Code:
So.... Here I am today, working in the m1009. It's nice and sunny and 75 out. Light breeze. Dogs rolling around in the grass. I decided today was the right day to put the spin on fuel filter on the 1009. That was a pretty easy process. Everything went pretty smooth. Thanks pawnshop for the parts list. Got the truck back together and started it. Fired right up. No leaks. Nothing ever goes this smoothly for me. Wait I shouldn't have said that. Then it happened. The truck stalled. I tried the starter again and nothing. Turned but wouldn't fire up. No leaks. Has fuel in the spin on filter. Maybe a little shot of ether would help the old girl come back to life. Gave her a little burp of ether, walked around and got in. Waited until the yellow light went out and hit the starter. Rev rev rev BANG!!! Crunch!! Crunch!!! Bang!!!

I put my head on the steering wheel for 1.8 minutes. I got out of the truck, turned out the lights, closed the overhead door to the shop and left. My shop is a mile or two from the house. Even the dogs knew not to talk.

I'm better now. I guess life teaches us all from time to time. That 4 bt swap idea just got moved up the to-do list. Let me be a lesson, no ether with cucvs!!!

RWB out!!!

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

March 20th, 2011....

OUCH!!! Even regular diesels really don't like either unless its metered, and not at 75*F! They ain't gas engines, no mater what it says on the can.... The good news is, you're gonna get some wrench time sooner then you thought, the bad news is you're wallet's gonna hate the hit! Good luck on the repairs!

:deadhorse:

Even most unmodified Multifuels did not take to ether, but if the intake manifold heater's working, they don't need it. I have heard that CUCV's don't like cold weather starts, but then there's an awful lot of GM Diesel PU's around, so how do they get them started? I guess the clow plugs are kind of a cross between spark plugs and cigarette lighter units?

Last edited:

rwbrown72

Seriously.... i made a mistake... I just wasn't thinking and was taking a short cut. Nothing more, nothing less. Lesson learned. Price paid. I just thought that everyone else would benefit from hearing about my mistake. Maybe it will save someone from learning it the hard way. I do learn quicker from my mistakes!!!! Often hurts, but I learn fast. :oops:

stampy

Let the drinking begin! Once you open her up get some picts for everyone because after all....nopics

Heck you knew it was comming. Sorry about your engine:(

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very decent of you to man up and publically admit the mistake, therby hopefully saving someone else the same problem. [thumbzup]

Good luck on the 4BT swap.

Cheers

rwbrown72

Very decent of you to man up and publically admit the mistake, therby hopefully saving someone else the same problem. [thumbzup]

Good luck on the 4BT swap.

Cheers
No worries.... It is only a truck. I have my family and my health! Everything else is a bonus! My four year old thinks my "green trucks" are funny! Can't beat that with a stick!

RB

davidkroberts

well crap, man that sucks.... The 4BT swap is going to be awesome though. We have a guy down in northern miss that sells take out engines for around 200 bucks if the new engine doesnt work out. If i was closer I would come help..... more likely sit around drinking beer and using my mad supervisory skills[thumbzup]

Seriously though thanks for telling all what happened you might have saved an engine in somebody elses truck.

dittle

I've always heard that when giving the 6.2 some ether just squirt it near the intake, not actually into it. Just enough so the engine thinks its getting some and then crank. Sorry to hear that yours grenaded on you.

ralbelt

From EVERYTHING that I have read, do not use either unless you are d___ sure the the glow plugs have been disabled.
I have used wd40 or a silicone spray twice.

Last edited:

cornrichard

That sucks, sorry to hear that happened. Thanks for posting though, I had no idea that there was enough power in either to grenade a motor. I knew you could hurt them by using to much. I always figured it was from hydrolock. I will be watching for posts on the 4bt swap. I want to make a farm truck with a 4bt.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glowplugs don't work on the m1008 hyrail truck- I just barely mist it in the intake and crank. If I crank it for about 3-4min straight it will start without help.

Something that needs to get fixed and the Doghead mod, but I hardly used the truck and the ignition switch broke the last time I drove it- so it isn't up on the prioity list.

Sorry to hear about your engine.

Iceman3005

I have too use either before because my glow plugs fried, when it started it made some funny noises for a second or two, didn't sound good. So ya either not a good choice.:doh:

lavarok

From EVERYTHING that I have read, do not use ether unless dou are d___ sure the the glow plugs have been disabled.
I have used wd40 or a silicone spray twice.
When in doubt, pull the glow plug control card.

Sorry to hear about your '09. Good luck with your plans to bring her back to life.

waayfast

Thanks for posting,sorry for your headache! This helps me to understand what may have caused our Civie 1984GMC 1/2 ton's Diesel engine to become seized.Let's just say a FORMER family member (Son in LAW)who was in charge of the the truck may have done the same thing,and caused the catastophic engine failure.I wondered how the 'ell a good running truck that had been VERY well taken care of could seize.Now maybe I got it figured out-----------------aua.
Of course Monkey- Boy fesses up to nothing.He's long gone but now we got something ELSE to have to mess with!!!!aua

(monkey-boy=what he can't tear up, he pi$$es on!)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks