• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Click click BOOM!

Doc Bingo

Sucks to hear abt your 09 good luck and hope it goes smoothly ...

Someone once told me to use wd 40 - I never have because I thought the guy was nuts ... now I see it in this post ... Can u really use wd 40 to start the 09 ... ??? Is it safer to use or same out come eventually ???

Thanks,

Bingo

lavarok

WD-40 used to be a great starting fluid for Diesels, but they changed something and now it doesn't work very well.
I recovered a M1009 at Redstone a few years back and the glow plug system had failed.

I tried Wd40 and silicone spray per some suggestions I read online, neither worked. However, with a quick spray of ether; it fired right up.

Midnight Rider

Sorry to hear about that happenin' to ya.

Though I might want to come by and scavenge some parts for my 09 now.:cool:

Let me know if you need a hand, I can try to come up with some free time.

GATVILLE

When i first got into cucv's i frequently used ether to start my old 08 with shot glowplugs. Luckily i never had a problem, once i learned how bad ether was for it i quit using it. Sold the truck for 1600 with no windows, the new owner told me he was going to rig up an ether injection for ease of starting :cookoo: poor truck.

rwbrown72

Sorry to hear about that happenin' to ya.

Though I might want to come by and scavenge some parts for my 09 now.:cool:

Let me know if you need a hand, I can try to come up with some free time.
Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I'm going to start looking for parts right now. If I can find a good takeout motor, Might go that route. Who knows. This will be a good summer project.

BIG_RED

To my knowledge, it was the PROPELLANT (the stuff that pressurizes the can) in WD40 that helped the engine start. They changed propellants to be better for the environment, hence WD40 not working well anymore. I have used either on my 6.2 when the glow plugs all fried, outside, in the cold. I was sure the glow plugs were not working, and it was a last resort to get the truck moving. That was 2 years ago and the truck still goes (with new glowplugs), but I would HIGHLY recommend against using either on anything that wasn't especially designed for it.

My "thank" button is AWOL, so "thank you for this useful thread". Respect for admitting you blew up a motor so that we could learn. I would have been tempted to sweep that under the rug, until bragging about my 4bt conversion :p good luck with that!

Midnight Rider

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I'm going to start looking for parts right now. If I can find a good takeout motor, Might go that route. Who knows. This will be a good summer project.
You might try looking in the Trader.

I did see that someone had a 6.2 motor still in the crate awhile back. I think it was Govt. Surplus.

I didn't need one, so I didn't call about it.

armytruck63

To my knowledge, it was the PROPELLANT (the stuff that pressurizes the can) in WD40 that helped the engine start. They changed propellants to be better for the environment, hence WD40 not working well anymore.
This is what I heard also. The original propellant might have been propane.

spicergear

So what was the actual engine damage?

I was at a buddy's place one day when he gave his civvy 6.2 a big shot of ether. I said, "you know that's a LOT of ether right?" RR-RR-BANG, Ka-dink! The 'ka-dink' was one of the starter bolts hitting his shop floor. The engine kicked back on the starter so hard it busted the ear of the block right at the outer starter bolt hole. [thumbzup] ...not

89m1007

So what was the actual engine damage?

I was at a buddy's place one day when he gave his civvy 6.2 a big shot of ether. I said, "you know that's a LOT of ether right?" RR-RR-BANG, Ka-dink! The 'ka-dink' was one of the starter bolts hitting his shop floor. The engine kicked back on the starter so hard it busted the ear of the block right at the outer starter bolt hole. [thumbzup] ...not
I have done that on a newly rebuilt engine

Rattlewagon

Sorry about your truck RW. This story probably wont help but, here goes...

About 5 years ago, my neighbor (real good guy) had saved up and bought a used duramax/ally silverado. He got it with about 20k on it. It was a really nice truck. His step-dad (not so good guy in my opinion) was helping him change the oil and fuel filter.

By this time, I had owned 3 dmax's and the neighbor had asked me tons of questions about them so I was hanging around BS'ing. The step-dad got a bright idea and said "instead of pumping the heck out of this thing (refering to the primer on the fuel filter), I'm gonna start it on either and it will prime itself". To which I said "these engines have glow plugs, they don't play nice with either. I'm not doing anything, I'll prime it for you..."

Is everyone familiar with the type of person that thinks they are always right and when they get real loud they are even more right?? That was the step-dad. At that point, I said it was time for me to go and I left.

A few days later, I saw the truck go past the house on a tilt bed...

Neighbor told me it had a busted engine and couldn't afford to get it fixed so he ended up trading it in broken, on an older truck.

Made me sick. I wished I would of just pumped it. It was a really nice truck...

sorry for my ramblings...

hre513

Sorry to hear about your engine. Maybe it can be salvaged. I always cringe when I read people using ether on diesels. I read and saw pics where a guy grenaded his Duramax using ether. I think it was good of you posting your experience, maybe it will detour other people from using ether and having the same experience. I personally think its a bad idea using any kind of starting aids. Since a diesel's engine speed is only controlled by fuel, not like a gasser where you have air restriction. I have never used starting fluid on a diesel, but I did on a gasser once and set the breather on fire, so that settled me on starting aids. If you tear it apart please post pics.

kentuckycucv

Man i was cleaning my intake hole with mineral spirits... I poured somr in thinking it would maybe clean some of my veggie oil crud off the valves... Or whatever crazy thought I had. Anyway i took the pink wire off. turned it over and it made a couple of wierd noises. i stopped real quick. tried to turn it over again and it was locked.:x
I walked away thinking I smoked my postins, broke something... Starter didnt turn engine.
So i read and read and read. I got a breaker bar attatched to the balancer bolt, and the engine moved. I turned it a bit heard no Knocks or clunks...
Disconected pink wire.
Disconected GP relay
Hit ingniton real quick it started I turned it off real quick...smoke from the mineral spirits....
Tried it again, and she fired right up... Whew Runs fine. I got lucky.
Note to self... dont pour any crap or either into the intake.
I thought i was going to be parting out my truck...:smile:

OK - so can someone school me? The MLVW's we used in Canada had ether plumbed in with selector switch on the dash. Straight up military issue, no motorpool fix. Since basically they are the same design (but built by Bombadier in Quebec) as the deuce - what makes it safe there (aside from freaking cold weather...)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks