• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Click click BOOM!

chuck0070

I'll be honest.... I used ether for years in the military, on everything... Deuces, 5 tons, Diesel Generators etc. I too would have used ether, on my M1009, especially if I had a hard time starting in the cold. Thanks for sharing, if you were closer, I'd help you with the repairs.

natem

Can you use ether to start a glow plug diesel? Yes, IF you let the glow plugs cycle and COOL down. I have done this many times, also use small amounts, and do not allow them (glow plugs) to cycle again until the ether has cleared from the combustion chambers!!!!!

Nate

Chief_919

OK - so can someone school me? The MLVW's we used in Canada had ether plumbed in with selector switch on the dash. Straight up military issue, no motorpool fix. Since basically they are the same design (but built by Bombadier in Quebec) as the deuce - what makes it safe there (aside from freaking cold weather...)
Ether in controlled, limited amounts is safe in cold conditions.

Ether is bad when overdone and abused.

A brief spritz to give the truck just enough to light off is fine.

A huge spray, or trying to run it on ether long enough to prime it, will kill it.

hre513

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_LWm4g35Jw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
Found the post where the guy's Duramax blew up from using ether.
I had been priming it through the pipe I pulled off of the air filter box, on the motor side, no filter to fog it. I would spray some starting fluid, run around and try to start it, usually with quick success. This method worked well for me in warm weather for a dozen times or so. However, after several failed attempts on this very cold morning, I get my next bright idea. I go get my son.......I have him turn it over as I spray it in like it's a fire hose hoping it would start..........It started alright. I am sure I had a bit too much fluid in it at this point.
When the motor fired up it IMMEDIATELY ran up to 7,8,9 grand for I am guessing 3-5 seconds before shutting down. I am really not sure of the rpm's, as I was too busy crappin my britches at the time. That is when I invested in my Helms Service Manuals.........and learned of the primer that could have helped me keep a whole bunch of my money I bet!!

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK - so can someone school me? The MLVW's we used in Canada had ether plumbed in with selector switch on the dash. Straight up military issue, no motorpool fix. Since basically they are the same design (but built by Bombadier in Quebec) as the deuce - what makes it safe there (aside from freaking cold weather...)

This is the CUCV forum. GM 6.2L diesel

hre513

This is the CUCV forum. GM 6.2L diesel
The reason I posted about the Duramax 6.6l is I considered it relevant to the GM 6.2l. They are both made by GM. They are both motors you're not suppose to use starting fluids in. And I imagine the result from using starting fluid would be similar.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since basically they are the same design (but built by Bombadier in Quebec) as the deuce - what makes it safe there (aside from freaking cold weather...)
You lost me with this comment.

I'll be honest.... I used ether for years in the military, on everything... Deuces, 5 tons, Diesel Generators etc.
I was wondering why if ether destroys diesels, the Canadian military had ether starting assist systems permanetly installed on their 2.5 tons - which are almost identical to the US ones (built under license from same design using same parts sources)

The application to the CUCV's 6.2 engines would be a useful one where I come from - Yellowknife NWT. We get about 5 months where the temp is well below zero farenheight, and about 3-5 weeks where it is below -40. People just start their trucks in December and let them run until March (whenever the temp is below zero) unless they can plug in the block heaters/battery warmers/oil pan heater/cab heater etc at home or on company power at work. Pulls from 15 to 20 amps...

Used to be that letting them run whenever not at work or home was common but with diesel almost $5 a gallon ($ and volume converted to US equivalent) it would be nice to have other options.

Of course when I have the cash and the posts I will be looking for an arctic heater kit from Blackhueys or whomever still has one ready to sell/install.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ether works fine with direct injection diesel engines, when it it metered(dispensed) in a small proportion. That is why a manufactured ether start kit is alright to use on the deuce and other direct injection engines.

Ether does not work as well on indirect injection engines such as the GM6.2L. That is why you willl not find "factory" installed ether cold start systems on one.

The use of hand held spray ether cans is very difficult to "meter". You should never use ether on a "warm/hot" engine. You should only spray it while the engine is cranking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks